Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First DIY Oil Change any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:56 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow that only took 15 minutes I can't believe I have been paying someone to do that for all these years. Thanks to all for the advice.

Next project is to change the brake fluid and bleed the brake lines and then on to installing 8mm magnacore ignition wire. Thanks again.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:18 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

avoid paying at all cost

Old 03-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Fuego
It is just that one moment when the drain screw comes undone and the oil starts flowing. It got me... I also realized that the $10 oil collection device from Autozone really was a bad investment. The opening was too small to effectively catch all oil pouring out (especially the stuff pouring anywhere BUT straight down) and the darn thing leaks! So transporting it is a Royal PITA. However, Autozone does not except oil back in original oil bottles, only in "recycable containers", leaving me no options...

The best type of drain pan is the open kind, looks like a Tupperware bowl, you need at least a 8 quart pan.
Save your empty windshield washer bottles and try to buy your oil in the 5 quart jugs.
I buy one 5 quart jug and then 2 single quarts as DI's take 7 quarts of oil.
I have many oil funnels, one I use for nothing but waste oil, it is a big mounth funnel, I put my old oil filter inside it so it can drain.
Pour your waste oil into the empty washer bottle, they are clear so you can see how full it is.
Dump the rest into another empty washer bottle.
Antifreeze bottles work well too.
Next take your empty 5 quart oil jug and stick your empty single quarts into the opening, let them each drain overnight.
Save this 5 quart jug.
Every time you add a quart of oil turn that bottle upside down into that 5 quart jug.
Before you know it you will have 5 free quarts of oil.
Dont let AutoZone or any place that takes used oil, even quick lubes, fool you, they ALL get paid for their used motor oil, here in MI they have waste oil heaters to heat their shops. They take your waste oil and get free heat for the winter.
DO NOT pay to drop off your used oil.
You can also drop off your waste ATF and coolant, but no brake fluid though, it cannot be combined with other oils.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so the last time i changed my oil, i forgot to put the washer back on the drain plug, DOH! so i took it off and put the washer back on the screwed it back on as quickly as i could, all the while, fresh oil is pouring out,lol. Live and Learn

Old 03-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Team Owner

You caould have just waited until your next oil change. It would have dripped a drop or two a day, but other than that...no harm done.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh trust me, i would have probably lost the washer, plus, I have another funny story to add to the collection of mess ups i've accumulated.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:45 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

remember,,,

if near catastrophe does not occur then you did something wrong

Old 03-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
remember,,,

if near catastrophe does not occur then you did something wrong
This is 100% correct, if it didnt start on fire, then youi need to go back and double check your work.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:45 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I did not have a washer on mine, is that someting I should get and put on there next time?

Old 03-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Team Owner

Yes, it is called a crush washer, you can buy them at the autoparts store, they are $1 for a million of them, but youi can use yours over and over.

Quick Reply: First DIY Oil Change any tips?