Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Land Rover, couple issuse.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Man i hope i never run into a heated seat issue. I really try not to use them unless I have to. And I always get pissed at my friends when they turn them on, when it's not even cold! But they feel so damn good!

Old 07-17-2011, 08:56 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
Man i hope i never run into a heated seat issue. I really try not to use them unless I have to. And I always get pissed at my friends when they turn them on, when it's not even cold! But they feel so damn good!
Its not turning them on thats the issue, they have elements in them like a toaster, turn them on and they heat up.
The problem is the elements break and short out.

Name:  632b7b3b.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  178.1 KB

Old 07-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Poor Disco I. If I am not mistaken the seat heater fuse is under the seat. You need to find out what all is on the circuit of the fuse that keeps blowing and go from there.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlin390
Thanks everyone, I looked when I got home this evening and the front axle and drive shaft look new (cleaner, shiney) more so than the rest of the undercarrage...
It doesn't matter how new they look. You need to get down there and count how many of the u-joints have grease fittings. If the answer is less than "all 3", then you need to rebuild or replace that driveshaft ASAP. It will fail, and probably destroy your transmission when it does...

I saw a guy lose his tranny to a bad front drive shaft last month, so don't let this happen to you. Fixing this (if it hasn't already been rebuilt) needs to be your #1 priority.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I seem to remember a quote about polishing a turd...

Rebuilding the front prop shaft with sealed joints, or buying a new shaft with sealed joints is only postponing the inevitable.

Originally Posted by dcarr1971
It doesn't matter how new they look. You need to get down there and count how many of the u-joints have grease fittings. If the answer is less than "all 3", then you need to rebuild or replace that driveshaft ASAP. It will fail, and probably destroy your transmission when it does...

I saw a guy lose his tranny to a bad front drive shaft last month, so don't let this happen to you. Fixing this (if it hasn't already been rebuilt) needs to be your #1 priority.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll double check the front shaft in the morning.

On my fuse issue, I got in the truck today and the fuse popped when I started the truck up. I unplugged the cigar lighter, the switches, the dome light. Put in a new 20amp fuse and started the truck and it popped. I'm at a loss.... time to take the wiring apart?

Old 07-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
I seem to remember a quote about polishing a turd...

Rebuilding the front prop shaft with sealed joints, or buying a new shaft with sealed joints is only postponing the inevitable.
OK, then buy a better shaft with serviceable joints...that's what I meant when I was telling him to replace it. The point is that not having zerks on the u-joints is a sure sign that the shaft needs replaced or else...

Old 07-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by dcarr1971
The point is that not having zerks on the u-joints is a sure sign that the shaft needs replaced or else...
Thoroughly agreed!

Old 07-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlin390
On my fuse issue, I got in the truck today and the fuse popped when I started the truck up. I unplugged the cigar lighter, the switches, the dome light. Put in a new 20amp fuse and started the truck and it popped. I'm at a loss.... time to take the wiring apart?
Fuse 15 powers the following circuits: Seat heaters, Cigar Lighter, Vanity Mirror Lights, Clock light, Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror, and HomeLink Transmitter.

The dome lights are on a separate circuit. Same goes for the cigar lighter/accessory socket in the back of the truck.

The seat heaters are disconnected from the circuit and won't cause the fuse to blow when the switch is off.

I would start with looking at the vanity mirrors, the lights turn on and off when you open the little cover and is just simple copper strips inside the thing. It's easy for these things to become kludged up and the previous owner might have tried fixing them with tin foil.

Just my 2 cents, hope that helps.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:06 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, forgot to include references to help you out. You'll need to be looking in the Circuit Diagram Library in RAVE.

Seat Heaters - Starts page 30, Vanity Mirrors & Rearview Mirror - page 87, Clock - page 95, Cigar Lighter - page 96, Header 0286 for everything else - page 111, Header 0761 for Seat Heaters - page 119, Homelink - Page 124

Quick Reply: First Land Rover, couple issuse.