Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Land Rover, couple issuse.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 07:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Land Rover, couple issuse.

I bought my first Land Rover this past Thursday and it has a couple issues. Fues 15 under the steering wheel that goes to the cigar lighter, interior lights, seat heaters and vanity lights. I put a 20 amp fuse and it pops immediately. I'm thinking it is the seat heaters drawing too much juice. My question is, are the butt warmers a known issue on these trucks?

Thank you,

-Will

Old 07-16-2011, 07:52 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never heard of them blowing fuses, I have heard of them just not working. Easy way to find out would be to unplug the seat heaters and replace the fuse again. If it blows again it's not the set heaters.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

As a new owner you would want the complete set of tech manuals and electrical diagrams with photos and maps of connection layouts, it is called the RAVE and you can find many posts on this forum to download it. And some people carry a copy on a usb drive, so thay can spend lunch hour thinking about what to fix next. Also handy to carry in truck in case you stop at an indy shop.

In the process of taking apart seats to swap out both my driver and passenger seat I noticed that seat heaters must get quite warm, the upholstery foam is normally cream color, but around the heater panels they looked a much darker brown. I used salvage passenger seats from two different D1s to replace both of mine, just puts the lumbar **** on the left side of driver seat. I did not hook up the $27 salvage seats that had warmers, not really an issue down here in the southern swamps. By the way, D1 and D2 seats do not interchange.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 07-16-2011 at 08:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-16-2011, 08:47 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

The seat heaters have their own fuses located under the seats.
"NEVER" up grade a fuse unless you want to burn up a wire harness.
What year truck and how many miles on it?
Plan on rebuilding the front drive shaft prior to it's failing and taking out the tranny and consider doing my major service list posted on a sticky at the top of the section.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Mudding

Check the lighter socket for a dime or penny.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Three Wheeling

Will check when I get home. It's an 2001 discovery SE7 with 170,000 on the clock. Front axle looks new

Old 07-16-2011, 07:22 PM
Mudding

Front drive shaft, not axle. It's the very first thing I did a week after buying mine, then I did DiscoMike's 60k service.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Merlin390
Will check when I get home. It's an 2001 discovery SE7 with 170,000 on the clock. Front axle looks new
Merlin...butt warmers are not a known issue and listen to DiscoMike...it is not the front axle you need to worry about, it is the front drive shaft (timdunbar is spot on)...this thread is your friend: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...t-reads-26352/

and download the RAVE: land rover service factory manual RAVE download land rover resource, service manual, workshop factory manual, download, rave, vehicles including discovery, series, defender, range rover, freelander, LR3, Handbooks, Catalog, Catalogue, Land Rover Inte

Old 07-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks everyone, I looked when I got home this evening and the front axle and drive shaft look new (cleaner, shiney) more so than the rest of the undercarrage.

I am going to get to the bottom of the problem with fuse #15 on Monday and fix the three amigos idiot lights as soon as my parts get here.

Alrighty guys and gals time to go to bed.

-Will

Old 07-16-2011, 09:54 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It is common for the butt warmer elements to break and short out, many a car has been lost to fire because of this.

Quick Reply: First Land Rover, couple issuse.