Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first snow, went wheeling and planted the rover ahahah

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 01:50 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default first snow, went wheeling and planted the rover ahahah

the rover in street trim is soooo far better of a off road vehicle then the jeep was. it is so much more sure footed and planted. the 4 wheel drive system is way more advanced and works better. on regular street tires i was able to trail up in the snow without chains to the places where the only other rigs getting there were well set up pick ups and jeeps with off road tires and chains.

but on the way down the mountain i was giving way to a row of rigs heading up the mountain and the snow gave and my rig slid off the road and into a embankment. it took a hour and 4 rigs to tow my vehicle up and out. we had to have several vehicles tied to the one with a winch who way tied to me due to the icy and snowy trail and my rig weighing so much. after we got that done and laughed and joked around for a bit. we all headed down the hill to a clearing and let the dogs run and play while a russian couple brought out some vodka and the gold flaked liqueur ****. so in the snow, freezing we drank and had a good time. exchanged emails and parted ways.

they are emailing me pics of the rover planted of the train.

i will post pics from the others soon

Old 12-14-2008, 02:00 AM
TReK
Default RE: first snow, went wheeling and planted the rover ahahah

Name:  1229199074084.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  55.9 KB

Name:  1229199272721.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  37.1 KB

Name:  1229199290458.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  1229202444961.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  83.6 KB

Name:  1229199124472.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  92.1 KB

Name:  1229202486350.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  52.9 KB

and the view out of the rear window of the train of rigs pulling me to safety hahaha

Name:  1229206159731.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  48.4 KB

with my lesson learned i stopped in at the local sports shop and bought some recovery gear. tow straps X2, a shovel/pick/hoe, a hi-lift and hi lift winch kit, and a roof basket with brackets to bolt the hi-lift and shovel tool to.

i got a lot of props from the people up in the trails with their rigs (most of which were a pretty well set up rigs) for being on the trails in a land rover. they all loved the rover and respect its abilities but said they only ever see soccer moms driving them and its a shame.

then a D90 motored up the trail and he was involved with pulling me out. he is in the pic behind the jeep acting as an anchor and a land cruiser is anchoring him. although i was stressed about the damage i potentially had done to my rig we were all laughing and having a fun time.

A+ day

Old 12-14-2008, 03:09 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really cool pics! Where were they taken exactly? I'm assuming somewhere in Washington.

In Jeeps defense they do cost less than half the price of a rover, kind of like comparing a rover to a $90K snow cat.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:50 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

That's the way to have fun in the snow. I have been on the other end of that situation and been the one with the winch that had a line of vehicles anchoring my truck as I pulled someone out. My first purchase after I get my winch is going to be a Pull-Pal anchor. I carry a short tow strap with me and with the pull-pal I should be able anchor the truck to pull someone else out or recover myself if need be.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Stunning scenery, Oh how I wish I was there to play to !!!!

Old 12-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah wow, that mountain looks beautiful! Glad you had a good time too!

Old 12-14-2008, 10:30 AM
TReK

that is NFD 5510 road which is off of tinkum road exit about 40min outside of seattle. the elevation at that point is maybe in the 6,000ft are. i might be guessing high.

if you can get to the very top of the mountain you get a almost 360 view of the cascade range. gorgeous off roading day. fingertips are all sore and still feel numb, but it was worth it for the fun.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautifull pictures. The one where you see the snow covered pine trees with your Disco making its way up, deserves to be in a magasine or something. Maybe even a discovery sales brochure...Well you know what I mean!

Old 12-14-2008, 11:40 AM
TReK

ORIGINAL: Darover

Beautifull pictures. The one where you see the snow covered pine trees with your Disco making its way up, deserves to be in a magasine or something. Maybe even a discovery sales brochure...Well you know what I mean!

my buddy saw that pic and said i needed to send it to rover or something. i was shocked my camera on my phone takes such decent pics

Old 12-14-2008, 05:55 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for the rover coming up the hill pic..looks like it belongs in a LR advertisement.

Quick Reply: first snow, went wheeling and planted the rover ahahah