Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time off-road

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 05:43 PM
TReK
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts
Default First time off-road

Well I joined my local Rover club in Canada and headed for some trails with my disco 2
had a blast of a time but most importantly my truck ran awesome and really took on the trails with no problems at all. Lots of rocky stuff muddy hills and lots of pot holes, I haven't got a chance to install my locking cdl but with the traction control kicked in it was go time was very impressive how well it works
next on my list is a new rear steel bumper and side steps protection maybe a 2 inch lift

for you off-roaders is it worth getting skid plates and differential guards etc ?
All of the guys I went with had defenders i was the only disco and I noticed some had front skid plate but no differential guards etc

Old 09-30-2018, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Diff guards are a must in my book, I also am a fan of rock sliders

Old 09-30-2018, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Diff Guards, Rocker Guards, and a Fuel Tank skid are my top #3 followed by a front skid on a D2.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

What's the story on the little wheel that is tucked away under the chassis?

Old 10-01-2018, 02:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

If you're going to stay serious about off roading, then all items listed are important. Super solid recovery points (front and rear) and a winch are a couple other things, too. And a good solid selection of recovery gear (recovery straps, tree savers, several clevests, shackles, leather gloves, choker chain, etc).

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:33 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Also, did you join the facebook rover group...and where are the pictures from the event? We love pictures. You can photoshop out the defenders...lol.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:41 AM
TReK

I am part of 2 different Facebook pages. Do we have our own page ?

Old 10-01-2018, 11:18 AM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

I am going to be the devils advocate here, all that gear is great - but no required by any means.

Consider the kind of off-roading you want to do and build from there, picking a good line and knowing your limits are more important than all the gear in the world.

For example, I am 60 and typically drive forest service roads and off shoots of the same, solo. My trips range from single day to 4 or 5 day runs spent largely on gravel of some sort , and if the truck fits it goes.
Some of the routes are flat smooth gravel, others are rutted, rocky ugly goat trails, I still drive them in basically stock form.

I have no winch, no skids, and no diff guards on the Disco or on my previews Vehicle an R50 Pathfinder. But I do not do mud, and I do not do rock crawling and I am perfectly happy to say the road ends here at any point.

So before you add all that gear think about a few things
  1. Winch - they are great but do you travel routes where it would be of value, to get you past an obstacle or out of one. Are there things to anchors to on your typical trail, or do you need to purchase a ground anchor.
  2. Diff guards/skids - do you move over a lot of rocky ground where you will drop a tire or drag the under carriage if you do those are absolute requirement
  3. Steel bumpers those are always of value
  4. Recovery points are a must have
I will add I carry and have used a hi-lift jack as both a winch and to get tires up out of holes, as well as a shovel, axe and saw so I can build up something under a tire.

There is nothing wrong with adding all the gear just because you want it, if you can afford it. But I prefer to make sure my truck is as close to 100% mechanically sound at all times. Then add as needed based on how aggressive a trail I want to travel.

The following 3 users liked this post by Richard Gallant:
Motorhead1 (10-01-2018), No Doubt (10-02-2018), The Deputy (10-02-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 11:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Drove my stock Nissan on advanced trails w/o any modifications. Wish had done rock sliders (damage on the 1st trail) and a diff skid (no damage, but touched a rock very gently). It is all about you being smart and using your skills, skills of your friends, and common sense. If you are into hard wheeling, I would not do Disco. Yeah, I said it--the car is a much better overland traveling car than a rock crawler. For that, you can hardly beat a Rubicon.

On a Disco, spend most of $ on tune ups to ensure that the car runs well. Then learn how to use recovery points and have recovery gear. Learn how to pick lines--cheap to start and saves a lot of $$$ in the long run. If you have front/rear bumpers with rock rails, you're pretty much all set for good overland travel and mild exploration.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:14 PM
TReK

I agree diff guards and all that stuff is very expensive
i found I picked my lines pretty good and had no trouble and slowed down when on rock that stuck out
truck had no issues in the mud or water crossings.

Quick Reply: First time off-road