Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixing side mirror spring

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 08:41 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing side mirror spring

I have seen a few threads on fixing the side mirrors and most recommended to buy a replacement part, some have done write ups that require brute force.

I will keep this short and sweet.
I just recently had the spring on my drivers side pop! And then just flopping back and forth. I removed the mirror assembly from the truck. There was a lot of "play" with the 2 pieces of assembly since the spring popped, which makes it easy to get to the main screw on the underside of assembly. Pop the mirror off of its cradle,and disconnect the leads from back of mirror. Then remove the 7 screws (3 silver and 4 black) to free up the tension on the wires. Once you have the spring cap lined up with the locking fins, take a 02 sensor socket and a vice clamp and slowly turn clamp until the spring cap is seated.(optional) After that you can take a hammer and screwdriver and tap around the edges. I have added pics (I apologize in advance for my rough highlights) I hope this may help someone fix their mirror issues easier than the brute force method or just throwing parts at it.
Thanks for reading and I welcome any thoughts or comments!

You may have to reposition the 02sensor socket a few times before you get it right. Took me a couple tries
The open side of 02sensor socket with the wires,be sure not to pinch the wires