Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing miles, three amigos and no lockout? Me confused.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 04:08 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Flashing miles, three amigos and no lockout? Me confused.

I test drove this Rover today:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/1046095762.html

...and there are a few questions I am hoping to get answered.

The truck looked beautiful inside and out and is a first owner truck with 125k miles on her. The thing that has me most concerned was the trans itself. It shifted fine except the lockout never engaged. I know it needs to warm up and therefore drove it for several miles and was unable to feel the lockout engage. What could be wrong? Trans temp sensor? Dirty fluid or filter? Computer issue? How difficult is the trans to swap since I have easy access to a working spare?

The next concern is flashing odometer. The numbers just flash the whole time. Owner says it started doing that when he had the alternator replaced. Makes no sense. However I do believe the mileage looking at the overall condition.

Then there are the three amigos. Owner says he has replaced the pump, computer and front sensors. What could be wrong? It brakes fine with no squeal or sings of warping.

There area couple other minor problems but these are my main concerns. She seems well taken care of otherwise and runs good. Any comments or suggestions?

Thank you all,

Fred

Old 02-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

First what lock out are you talking about?
Second, have the owner go get the ABS fault codes read and repaired, this is your deal breaker cause you can be looking at $1000 in repairs.
The owner needs to go have that speedo reset by a Rover Test book, good chance it is not the original.
In general, stay away from this one, doesn't feel right at any price.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Mudding

Its a first owner car with all the original paperwork and I tend to believe the owner. I just think the inde mechanic he has been taking it to does not know much about Rovers. How would you set off the speedo to make it flash?

What I mean by lockout is the overdrive. It does not engage to what would be a direct link once the trans comes up to temp. I am not sure how well I am explaining it. I might not know the proper term. Will try and call you later.

Thanks,

Fred

Old 02-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man thats cheap!

Old 02-24-2009, 06:54 PM
4wd Low

Is that what it means Mike?

The odometer flashing because it's been fiddled with and/or replaced with another, so the computer throws out an "SOS" of sorts???

Old 02-24-2009, 07:08 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

It sounds like Fred is trying to say the torque converter is not locking up like it should at speed, if I am understanding correctly.

Personally the only thing that scares me is the flashing odometer. Did you happen to notice if the mileage changed during the test drive? If so I would be inclined to believe the mileage. I'm at a loss as to what would cause the odometer to flash like that and if it is something that can be fixed. I would imagine a dealer or indy mechanic with the right computer could probably fix the problem.

As for the 3 amigos, sounds like they have replaced everything but the cause of the problem. I would bet fixing the shuttle valve will fix the 3 amigos like it does on most D2s.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The flashing OD just needs to be reset like Mike said.
As for the 3 amigos it could be a bad wheel hub, $400 each.
As for the tourge convertor not lockng up, it should have after 5 miles if the truck was stone cold when you started your test drive.
That could be a computer issue, a dirty trans filter, low on fluid or dirty fluid.
Why is he selling it?
My truck was a one owner that had issues, all easy issues he just was ready to get rid of the truck.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Mudding
Question

To answer all your questions:

Yes it is the torque converter that is not locking up. I drove it several (6-8) miles at highway speeds and it still would not lock up.

Owner said it started flashing when he had his mechanic change the alternator. I called my local LR dealership with the question and he said certain comp issues cause the mileage to flash. It rarely means the odometer has been messed with or replaced. The mileage did change during the test drive.

Yes the car is cheap and I might be getting it for almost a grand less than asking price. Once again the car looks beautiful and even though I already have one I am still interested in this one. He is selling it cause he is tired of all the issues and has already bought a BMW X3. Does not want to put more money into it. I really think it might be the mechanic.

Thanks for your prompt replies.

Fred

Last edited by xb70valkarye; 02-25-2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: info
Old 02-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

well, parting it out you can make money. If you aren't afraid of getting into a nest of gremlins, go for it. I helped a friend out and bought a 2000 for $2000. I plan on fitting a 4.6 in it to see how it goes. The truck does look clean, just be ready to do a lot of fixing.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Buy it, I think it is in better shape than the guy knows, his mechanic is throwing parts at it and he does not know what he is doing.
Just unhooking the battery and letting it sit for a few min might reset the OD to not flashing, who knows.
Totally low ball the guy, tell him that you spoke to the dealer and that the flashing OD could mean big trouble, ods are he wont call them himself.

Quick Reply: Flashing miles, three amigos and no lockout? Me confused.