Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing oil light...part 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing oil light...part 2

Okay, I have yet to get the numbers BUT the guys @ British Autoworks up in the Bronx said that I need new gaskets and new valve cover gaskets.
I don't have an estimate, but they said the oil pump wasn't the problem.

Anyone have experience with this issue.
I'll post the oil pressure numbers once I get the estimate.

Thanks!

Old 02-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your oil light was flashing? Did you check the level? Was oil clean, dirty, or milky?
I'm guessing he is referring to "head" gaskets when you say gaskets...and I'd tighten down the valve covers bolts and see if that stops the apparent leak before just changing the gaskets.

In other words, I'd look into your actual problems a little more before I sign off on what will probably be a $2K+ estimate from them...call me skeptical.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread is worthless without the oil pressure readings.
The head gaskets and valve cover seals will not cause a flashing oil light - unless oil is seriously pissing out everywhere. That's going to be a $2k+ repair that will not do anything for your oil light.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Three Wheeling

It's the intake gaskets - I'm waiting for a call back to get the numbers as well as discuss the repairs.
It's $1,195 for the gasket set/labor, a new horn switch/labor & an oil change.
Which isn't cheap but sounds better than the $2k you both mentioned.
This almost makes me say "God I should have bought a Honda (but it doesn't, just yet...)

Old 02-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Banned

Ok... we assumed head gaskets since that is the most common gasket job. It helps to be specific. Changing those gaskets is a piece of **** if you have the time and place, plus they are dirt cheap.
What weight engine oil are they going to use? Make sure they don't use the cheapest filters (like Fram), but a descent one like Mobil1 301. If you have to go buy an oil filter and tell them to use it.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Three Wheeling

I'd hope they'd be using something quality because the oil change is $85 alone.
When I asked about oil they said they use 2 weights one for winter and one for summer.
Apparently the owner was a LR tech @ one of the dealerships and opened this place.
Would the bad intake gaskets cause the oil light to flash? It only happened once, but better safe than sorry...

Old 02-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Banned

No the gasket will not cause the oil light to flash. One possibility is that the oil sender harness was loose, but that's just a guess. They don't seem to be concerned with the oil pressure and I take it they know what they are doing.
One thing you need to do is ask specific questions and pay attention to what they say and do. For example what specific weight oil do they use in summer and winter. You need to be on top of things and keep track of everything. I know these shops can get pissy when you ask questions, but hey it's your money and your vehicle.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Three Wheeling

I live in NYC, I kind of take pride is making people pissy* when I'm paying them a lot of money for anything (especially my car!) :-p

* If they give me attitude; Otherwise I'm the nicest person you don't want to **** off.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Mudding

No gaskets will cause cause the oil light to flash. The only connection there is if the leaking gaskets leaked ALL the oil out and the oil pressure was too low as a result. Other wise this wont be the fix you're looking for. Hopefully you had enough sense to check your oil level when the light started coming on so you should know if it was low or not. If it wasnt low... gaskets arent your problem. Period.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Three Wheeling

Yes checked oil level and it was full - I'm not authorizing anything until I get the reason For the intake gasket replacement / how that would cause oil pressure light to come on and run it past you all here ( my pack of Rover driving protective older brothers *ha*)

Quick Reply: Flashing oil light...part 2