Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat tow? – 4 wheels on the ground – off road

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flat tow? – 4 wheels on the ground – off road

I’m setting up a tow bar for my 98 DI for 4-down towing off road.
Since I have it for my Cherokee, I want to do the same for the Discovery.
The purpose is to have a buddy truck haul the Discovery out of the back woods if I have a problem.
Since I travel out 30+ miles on gravel and logging roads, I need a plan B if something goes wrong.
Tow trucks don’t want to go and get you out without a big charge $$$$.
But if you get the LR to the highway, they are pleased to take it from there.
I have never had this happen to me, but stuff happens. Be prepared!

The DI manual gives the procedure for towing on all 4 wheels and the Discovery is suitable for being towed (RV’ers call them toads or dinghy) behind a motor home. It can be done.

Finally the questions

1) What is it like to flat tow a Discovery, any concerns or suggestions would be appreciated.
There are lots of problems for legal towing on the highway, but this is an off road question.

2) I have a factory brush guard with 1 1/8” (28.5mm) tow eyes in the bracket between the bumper and the frame. What are these for?
I could use a threaded 1” round rod thru these holes and double nut.
This rod would give me the pulling and rotation for the “V” tow bar.

3) Are there reasonable priced standard hardware for attaching the tow bar to the Discovery?
Blue Ox is one company http://www.blueox.us/Baseplates/baseplates.htm
Also an RV place could help me out for some $$.

I fabricated my own for the Cherokee and I will share the project when I get going.
Always ask the questions first to others with experience before starting on a project.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

1- Put the transfer box in neutral, not just the tranny when towing. They are 5500#, so get ready to lug some weight. If you break a driveshaft, axleshaft, or blow a diff, you are stuck anyway. Get familiar with how to work on the driveline so you can remove something if needed. If you blow a diff or axleshaft, you can remover the flanges ond freewheel on the hubs.

2- You can pull it from these, but I wouldn't do much if you are going over rough terrain. Get some good recovery points to bolt/weld on. I wouldn't use a tow bar on rough terrain either, torque it and you are going to pop it off the ball.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Three Wheeling

Thank you okdiscoguy
The main problems are the distance to move the truck and no cell phone coverage to call for help. I would use a recovery strap to move it to a reasonable gravel road and then tow it back to civilization. Good point about pulling a 4500 lb truck on a 5500 lb ball hitch. My lighter weight Cherokee is 3000 lb which gives a much higher factor of safety on a 5500 lb ball hitch.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not worry too much, if any, about towing on the 5500# ball. Those things are WAY stronger than what they are rated at. That is just what I have found out. I would however recommend not attaching something to the factory brush guard to tow from, IMHO they are too weak. Do you plan on putting an aftermarket front bumper? If so you can weld a hitch receiver into it. I did that on my old truck and it worked great.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Those "recovery" eyes bolted to the frame are actually shipping tie downs, when they load the trucks onto ships to transport around the world they need to be strapped down, so thats what they use.
If you look at any car not made in the US you will find these, cars one front and one rear, opposite sides.
Trucks, two both front and rear.
Yes you can use them but dont be alarmed if one breaks.
There are actual recovery hardware kits you can buyu cheap and install to use for recovery.
I will try and find a link for you.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Three Wheeling

Thank you greenwade

I plan to develop a similar system that I used on the front of my Cherokee.

I used a Quadratec Jeep Cherokee tow plate with bolted brackets to the frame.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/76045_801.htm
This standard accessory gives me a 2’’ receiver for a hitch and 2 attachments for the tow bar.
I then fabricated a cross bar that tied into the 2 attachments and 2” receiver for strength to support the tow bar.

If I now fabricate new brackets to bolt to the Discovery and support the standard Quadratec tow plate, I have one system for 2 trucks.

The factory bumpers stay on both trucks.
The brackets and tow plate would stick out under the factory bumpers for tow bar or 2” hitch attachments.
I don’t want to add any more weight on the front of these trucks.

The next step is to buy a standard Warn removable winch mounting plate that fits in to the 2” receiver front or back on both trucks.
Then the warn winch is left inside the truck or garage.
The winch would only be installed when needed front or back.

This would satisfy my light duty offroading