Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat towing with an 04 Discover with diff lock

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 03:04 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat towing with an 04 Discover with diff lock

I have an 04 Discovery with diff lock. Blue Ox stopped making base plates for the Discovery II in '03.

I was wondering if this was because the 04 year was the only year for the diff lock option.

If you can tow all four on the ground for an 04 Discovery....can you use the 03 discovery base plate?...will it fit the 04 Discovery?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Not sure what the base plate is or has to do with towing a Disco, but both can be towed with the t/case in neutral.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:50 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks Mike for your response.

The base plate is what is installed to the front of the disco frame in order to be pulled by a tow bar....so...are the frames the same in '03 and '04?....my guess is that they are.

I have the Rave manual but do not have access to an '04 manual that will tell me for certain it can be pulled all four flat. I have polled 3 dealers, 2 say no and one says yes....so I don't know who to believe.

My main concern is with the locking diff in the '04 model only...which is the only year they didn't make base plates.

My guess is that it can be towed all four flat if the transfer case is in neutral and unlocked with the transmission in park to keep the transmission from free wheeling.....and that the frames on the '03 and '04 are identical.

Can you confirm this Mike?

Thanks again...I hear you are one of the gurus on this site.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Rock Crawling

Yes 03 and 04 frames are identical. The only discernible modification to the '03-'04 frames was the location of the front tow eye due to the new front bumper. A couple of other little things were changed as well, locations of studs, etc. There is a stiffener plate in the frame and a few bolts were changed from 8.8 to 10.9. The loading specs for the tow eye are the same 99-02 and 03-04.

The official stance is the vehicle should be towed wheels up on a roll-back. Also acceptable is 4 down with a driver, both gear boxes in neutral.

Last edited by tee51397; 01-17-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am no expert. But I asked the dealership about this as my folks were looking to borrow my for rover for a trip and tow I behind their rv. The dealership indicated they do not recommend towing my 04 disco2 unless it is on a flatbed trailer. Again this s from my dealer.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It is preferred to tow it on a flat bed trailer because it is a full time 4x4, however, if the transfer case is in neutral it can be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground.
With the t-case in neutral and the trans in park it will roll down a hill.
But I would put both the t-case and trans in neutral.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Here's the pages from the owner's manual. Seems like flat towing behind an RV is permitted. What keeps it from working like the factory manual says?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
flat towing.pdf (558.1 KB, 1333 views)
Old 01-18-2012, 10:26 AM
3rd Gear

ALL and Savannah Buzz:

Thank you for your replys and the notes in the manual.

Can you confirm this is from a 2004 manual please?

The information I have been able to gather is that the proper procedure which this manual confirms is that yes it can be towed all four flat if the transfer case is in neutral AND the main transmission box is in Park. The last part about it being in park did not make since to me until I talked to a Land Rover Mechanic who told me that the oil moving from the drive shafts would turn the transmission while moving even if the transfer case is in neutral and so you must put the transmission in park to lock down the transmission gears from turning in an un-lubricated state avoiding damage to the transmission parts.

In any case...I will follow the manuals directions that you provided (I don't currently have one). I do have the rave download but it doesn't address this issue.

Question: If the key is in position 1...will this just not record the mileage while being towed...or will it damage something else? I would think it would be a good thing as you need the mileage to be correct between oil/transmission changes...the only wear on the Disco while being towed is bearings and, shocks and tires.

Thanks again for your help and responses

Old 01-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

This info is from pages 216 - 217 in the MY 2004 owners manual in your copy of the RAVE. Look in file pdf/lt/hl0651n.pdf

Old 01-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
This info is from pages 216 - 217 in the MY 2004 owners manual in your copy of the RAVE. Look in file pdf/lt/hl0651n.pdf
Good to know, but I am not going to tell my folks.. otherwise dad is going to take my rover for a few months.

Quick Reply: Flat towing with an 04 Discover with diff lock