Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flood water crossing, almost stalled... what was it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flood water crossing, almost stalled... what was it?

There were torrential rains today and a good hundred yard section of the road was flooded... im guessing no more then a half foot at the deapest, probably averaged half that... i made it through fine, as were some cars much lower then my 00 disco... but in one of the sections about 3/4 way through i lost all pedal response to rpm... it didnt shut off or die... but it bogged a good deal... then about a car length and a half later, the rpms came right back up and all was fine. i wasnt too worried, it didnt stall and the water wasnt anywhere near high enough to get the filter... but what worried me slightly after, is that about 3 minutes later, long after the last flood water crossing, it did the rpm drop but never stall thing, then returned to normal. hasnt happened since... just curious of what it might back been? no codes flashed, and it started fine today after work and drove home without a hitch.

water ground somethin out somewhere? no fuses where popped that i can see, and there was no loss of electrical power... just 2.5k rpm, then dead gas pedal, slowly dropped to near below idle speed...kept going... kept going... then came back alive back to 2.5kish where i was holding it and all was well.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

There have been posts about the ECU getting water on it. With a big circuit board, would not take much. Search those out, should be some solution for waterproofing the ECU. It's a Land Rover, not a Boston Whaler.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

thats in the right pass interior kick panel no?

Old 08-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If I'm not mistaken the DII ECU is inside the truck.
My bet is on the crank sensor getting wet.
How fast were you driving?
You said 2500rpm, on my truck thats 65+mph.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Same thing happened to me a while ago. I need to search out the post on it. Never quite figured it out. I did notice some water in the airbox though. Go open up your airbox right now and see if there is any moisture in there.
What I THINK it is (in my case, but the same exact thing) is the hose leading up to the airbox. Most is hard plastic, but the one section is soft/flexible. I think that breaks down and becomes porous maybe.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle

lol in 2nd gear? i forget now... 2500rpm guestimate... just tryin to illustrate steady pace... not 65mph thou for sure haha that would have been rather entertaining.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here you go with my previous post. Funny enough, you were the one giving me tips LOL
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...air-box-39810/

Old 08-15-2011, 06:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x3 on the cps. Mine does it every time my road floods ( OFTEN ). Something about muddy water and that sensor makes it act just as described.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Isn't pouring water down the back of the engine one of the "tests" for a bad CPS? Maybe water is following the cable into a connector that needs to be sealed up better than factory methods?

Old 08-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

x2 on Savannah's last comment. It sounds like something needs sealed up a lot better or at least given a good coat of dielectric grease.

I've been in much deeper water than what's described herein without any problems at all.

Quick Reply: Flood water crossing, almost stalled... what was it?