Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flooded disco

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flooded disco

I had to do a water crossing in my disco and ended up flooding the thing out. I now have some serious electrical problems in the truck.The truck will not start or click-nothing. I have just about every light on that the dash board has to offer. I had to go back to work today so i have not got to dig into it yet, but i waswondering if anyone could give me some adviceon were to start. i know i have to replace the diff fluid, trans fluid, oil, etc, but electrical is NOT my thing. is it possible that i have actually shorted out myECU? any advice would be of great help.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:51 PM
Mudding
Default RE: flooded disco

First quest-how deep was the water?

Old 03-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Rock Crawling

about 3 feet. and i ment PCM not ECU on my post. sorry different cars different parts....

Old 03-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Before you go too far, check your air filter, if you sucked some water, you will most likely lost your engine, Hydro Lock will take out a piston or two.
Was this a D1 or D2?

Old 03-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Pull all the spark plugs out and turn the engine over to pump the water out of the cylinders, make sure inside the plug wire boot is dry.
Put everything back together, disconnect the battery.
Pull the airfilter out and make sure that it is dry.
Spray some carb cleaner into the throttlebody, put it all back together.
Reconnect the battery and start the trk.

Land Rover used to have this info on their web-site, gas engines dont have enough compression to put a hole in a piston when you hydro lock it.
By removing the spark plugs you will allow the engine to turn over by letting the pistons push the water out of the spark plug hole. It's like lancing a boil on a sheep, you have to release the pressure to make it better.
Once all the water is out and the spark plugs are dry it should start right up.
Oh yeah, leave the plugs connected to the wires when you pump the water out, the spark will dry them off.
One more thing, because the trks were designed to go off road, and they expect you to drown it once in awhile, they put a button on the fire wall, left side as you face the engine,by pressing this button you can turn the engine over without using the key.
It was put thereso that you could pump the water out of the cylinders or check compression all by yourself.It energizes the starter only and not the fuel pump so it wont start, just turn over.
Let us know when you get it running again.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Rock Crawling

Spike555 that is very good info and i thank you for, but most of my problems seem to be electrical. I did pullthe air filter after i got the truck out of the water and it was dry (i was shocked). the starter will not engage when i turn the key, I think it could be related to the fact that the truck was in gear when the short (i assume it was a short) happend. the starter will not engage if it's not in N or P. once i figure out how to get the starter going i will go through those steps. and by the way the truck is a DII 1999

Old 03-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Are you SURE it isint engaging and not just not turning over because of to much water in the cylinders?
If so then check your neutral saftey switch.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Administrator

You are lucky it is a D2, less chance of electrical issues. Have you tried to reset your inerita switch on the passenger fire wall, try it.
If you got no water in you filter, don't worry about pulling your plugs.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Rock Crawling

I am 100% that there is not sign of water on the Air filter. I am 100% sure that the starter is not engaging.I have not tried to reset the inerita switch, nor have i looked at the neutral saftey switch. I will look at both of these things and let you know. I do have one questiong though, a family friend is pretty savy with anything off road, excpetLandroversand he suggested just keeping the car in a warm dry area with good air circulation to dry out any relays. is this a possiblity?I have aired it out for two days now and heat is not a problem in Arizona.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Administrator

You didn't pay attention to the fact that a D2 won't do that to you like a D1.
Stick with us for a bit and lets get you going again.
In 2 lines or less, tell me what is and isn't working.
Also, go reset the switch.

Quick Reply: flooded disco