Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floor jack question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AK Rover
Under the axle will work. (That's not the first answer that came to mind.) What is it you are trying to accomplish.
Yeah, this is for the brake job.

I have not purchase a jack stand yet. However, do I shoot for a 2 ton or 3 ton jack stand?

Thanks everyone for the follow ups

Old 06-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 ton should be safe, also remember to chock your wheels

Old 06-29-2009, 12:01 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Torancis_LR
Yeah, this is for the brake job.

I have not purchase a jack stand yet. However, do I shoot for a 2 ton or 3 ton jack stand?

Thanks everyone for the follow ups
Might as well get tall 3 ton stands from harbor freight or Sears, they are only like $10 more. Put your jack in the middle of your axel case next to the differential, jack it up high and put your stands on the axel next to your tires. I lower the jack on the stands and then jack it up so it is also supporting just as a precaution.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Just went to the local Harbor Freight tool store. Their jack stand are very cheap but also cheap in quality. I hope the stand will do the job holding up the truck.

I notice when jacking the front differentials, the passenger front wheel is much more elevated than the drivers side. Is there a way to jack the truck and have both ends equally elevated so I can slide two jack stands under the axles?

Old 06-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

With a truck that has a center diff you just jack on the diff and both sides of the truck will raise evenly.
With a Rover having both diffs off center it is best to jack up one side at a time and then place your jack stand as far to the out side as you can.
Right at the outer most edge of the axle but right before the hub is a nice spot for the stand.
If your jack goes high enough you can place it in the middle of the truck on the frame, like the middle of the frame on the drivers side for example, and then do the brakes on the drivers side and then on the passenger side.
You dont need to do front brakes and then back brakes, do them on side at a time not one axle at a time.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spike555
If your jack goes high enough you can place it in the middle of the truck on the frame, like the middle of the frame on the drivers side for example, and then do the brakes on the drivers side and then on the passenger side.
You dont need to do front brakes and then back brakes, do them on side at a time not one axle at a time.
Very helpful. Thank you Spike.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:27 PM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

IM about to use my 3 Ton floor jack I just bought to do some first time ( on disco only) to check on what is loose up front... slight looseness in steering and and a loose ness. I have a new steering OME damper and new track rod even though mine doesn't seem loose its possibly the ball joints on rear or something else.... looking now... so basically I put jack on center front axle next to diff then put my 6ton jacks close to outside after parking break and rear wheels calked....? I went all out sine these jacks and stands are on sale at HF... saved about 90$ so jumped on it

Old 01-28-2014, 02:56 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One issue, some 2 ton jacks do not raise high enough to raise trucks. So make sure the lift height is good enough to raise your Discovery. Mostly with a discovery you will be raising at the bottom of one of the two differentials or on the Axel.

Example: I have a cheap 2 ton I use on my son's Taurus, I got it for 40 bucks, It will not lift/reach high enough to raise my Discoveries, Avalanche or FJ Cruiser to take the wheels off.

Last edited by xxdoylexx; 01-28-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:36 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

^^bump to ALL of that^^

Old 02-04-2015, 01:38 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sale

Right now Sears has a Craftsman 3 ton jack 2 stands (also 3 ton) and a creeper for 119.00 bucks.

Quick Reply: Floor jack question