Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowkooler water pump now available?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2022 | 09:48 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by 04disco2va
11chuck. Sorry you haven’t received yet! Didn’t you start this thread :-).

Update 2 after install - so I drove about 2 hours yesterday on the freeway and local driving. Ambient temp 81F.
On freeway 70-75 mph seeing 199 degrees peak temp for short periods spending most time at 197.
As soon as I get back on local around town driving(this is FL so stop light and traffic every 1/4 mile 35mph at most), seeing a rock steady 188degrees.

For some context. Previous (old waterpump) Freeway driving 70-75 I would see the temp immediately go to 203 and climb steadily about 2 degrees per mile. When the temp got to 212-215 I would pull off and get back on local roads. Seems the truck after this would be heat soaked and never get below 203 most of the time, when idling at a light and in traffic would regularly see 204-206. Luckily I don’t commute and do about 99% of driving locally only 5 miles away from home.

Anyway, know most of you have had better luck with your stock setups, Waterpumps and even the stock thermostat on some of the threads. Look forward to hearing what others are experiencing.
very happy what I’m seeing so far for my issues. Thanks again 11chuck !
I was in the 210 -215 plus range and replaced the radiator. That dropped it to 210 minus range or more near 200. Added the extinct mod with 180 t stat and now hardly ever see 200 even on a long idle in 90+ deg. Best part is any throttle drops it fast. In most driving it hovers around 180. As said above this should be a game changer at low rpms or idle which happens frequently when off road.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (02-08-2022)
Old 02-08-2022 | 01:39 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Blamo35
Just got mine delivered yesterday.
Can you upload a few pictures of it, maybe next to the original, so we can see the differences?

Thanks

Old 02-11-2022 | 08:00 AM
SWM
Three Wheeling

Here is how it arrived. Looks promising. Only issue was the packaging. It was at the bottom of the box with packing material on top which put the gasket directly on the cardboard bending the gasket. Hopefully it isn't an issue when I use the RTV spread method.

The following 2 users liked this post by SWM:
JohnZo (02-11-2022), TimInNova (02-11-2022)
Old 02-11-2022 | 09:41 AM
Camel Trophy

First time I have looked at this. From an engineering standpoint this should be a much more efficient pump. I just spent a few minutes looking at the OEM pump and realized they actually have the vanes angled the wrong direction in the OEM pump, like the designer wanted the decrease the pump efficiency.

Old 02-11-2022 | 09:44 AM
SWM
Three Wheeling

When my hoses come in, I hope this new pump and your inline thermostat I purchased make any potential temp woes a non-issue

Old 02-11-2022 | 10:21 AM
Rock Crawling

Looks similar to the impeller on a BMW water pump I had on a 03 325i. Maybe impeller design progressed and the legacy team for the 50's Buick design didn't get the memo.

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (04-26-2022)
Old 02-11-2022 | 07:01 PM
|
Mudding

Finally received mine after all this time. Like another poster stated, pump was literally just thrown in a box with 3 large pieces of styrofoam just sitting on top. Gasket included, but of course it was torn because of horrible packaging.

Upon inspection of the pump, while the impeller is nice and seems to be assembled correctly, the mating surface on the pump itself has scratches and gouges all over it. Whether due to poor quality control or the horrible packaging for shipping, who knows. Hopefully they don't cause any leaks. So I need a gasket and will also probably use some type of sealant on it as well. As far as the pump "castings" go, I suspect they just buy the cheapest pumps available from china and throw their impeller on it. There's nothing special about the housing itself and it's pretty rough with casting marks. Hopefully they made some internal longevity improvements, but I doubt it.

Not very impressed to be honest. Only nice thing about this pump is the impellor. Literally. Glad to hear it's at least working well for others, but the company itself could use some improvement in multiple areas. But hey, if it works as advertised and holds up over time, I really don't care.

Old 02-12-2022 | 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Most water pumps I've bought have usually had small burrs or imperfections. You can usually clean the mating surface very easily. Pump wise you have A, B, and C grade usually and they're distributed to misc vendors per their grade request. Gates, AC Delco, Stant, for example all have the same darn pump just in a different box with of coarse different prices. Packaging wise I have never received a water pump packed worth a darn to be honest. On units ever packed nice were local pick up at say Auto Zone or Napa which of coarse cost way more. You can't really do much damage to a water pump by dropping it except maybe scratch or mess up the mating surface.

Not defending the quality of their product but what you described is pretty much how every single water pump has showed up to me. You might reach out to em to get a replacement gasket. Last one I got locally cost like 8.00 and took a day to get in.

Old 02-12-2022 | 08:39 AM
Rock Crawling

Bad week. Could have been worse ! ! Overheated this week in about 5 seconds from starting, saw 220 on the ultragauge when I shut the engine off. Luckily I was watching temps closely due to the new Flowkooler pump and was around the corner from my mechanic. No coolant in tank and nothing on ground. Checked dip stick and yep water in engine.
Mechanic (Norman) found the front cover gasket failed. It wasn’t related to any work recently done and thank goodness wasn’t the head gasket. I was back on the road in a fast couple of days (thanks Norman). Definitely is nice to have a knowledgeable Rover mechanic close by.
Guess for future I’ll put the front cover gasket replacement higher on the to do list.

received my back up Flowkooler pump yesterday. They must be catching up only took 4 days from ordering to receive rather than the 2-3 months previously. Haven’t opened package yet but 11chuck has me worried on the poor packaging.

Old 02-12-2022 | 12:03 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Most water pumps I've bought have usually had small burrs or imperfections. You can usually clean the mating surface very easily. Pump wise you have A, B, and C grade usually and they're distributed to misc vendors per their grade request. Gates, AC Delco, Stant, for example all have the same darn pump just in a different box with of coarse different prices. Packaging wise I have never received a water pump packed worth a darn to be honest. On units ever packed nice were local pick up at say Auto Zone or Napa which of coarse cost way more. You can't really do much damage to a water pump by dropping it except maybe scratch or mess up the mating surface.

Not defending the quality of their product but what you described is pretty much how every single water pump has showed up to me. You might reach out to em to get a replacement gasket. Last one I got locally cost like 8.00 and took a day to get in.
True. I guess I just expected a little more from them.

I'm not too worried about the gasket. I'll just get another one. I think I have one or two laying around anyway from an extra pump I have and a gasket kit.

While we're on the topic of gaskets, would you happen to know any good quality gaskets above the cheapest paper ones? Fel-Pro usually makes decent stuff but I haven't really looked at what they have for a Rover water pump. And any sealant recommendations? Don't really want to use RTV. Was thinking about copper spraying it but I usually only do that to plain metal gaskets. I would put it on dry but just worried about it sealing properly and I'd rather not do the job twice. Already have a list of work to do on all my project vehicles as it is so don't have time to waste redoing simple jobs haha.

Quick Reply: Flowkooler water pump now available?