Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid Film Corrosion Prevention

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 07:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Fluid Film Corrosion Prevention

I just found out about this stuff from another board:

https://www.fluid-film.com/

Spray on corrosion inhibitor/lubricant.
Land Rover must have used something like this because my Landy used to smell like a wax candle in the summer.

The following users liked this post:
number9 (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 01:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Fluid Film is some good stuff and comes in several varieties and forms of application. First heard of it on a boat/marine forum years ago.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Probably very similar to this: https://www.berkebileoil.com/pfc-undercoating.html

-Both Lanolin based. I applied it before this winter, we'll see how it held up in spring. I'm in the Northeast btw, so the salt will be a good test.

They were all coated with Waxoyl from the factory, from what I understand.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:58 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm also curious about fluid film. It's VERY popular here in New Hampshire. Every winter the dot saturates the roads and parking lots with salt in a futile effort to combat slippery roads conditions. Consequently the **** wrecks havoc on our vehicles as they rapidly rust and rot. Metal frames. Truck beds. Wheel wells. Bumpers. Rockers and floorboards etc. Then when we take our cars in for the annual safety and emissions inspection, we get a fail due to rust holes. Of course the DOT does not reimburse for the $$$$$$$ in damages to our vehicles. Interestingly I spoke to a DOT rep in Anchorage Alaska about emissions and safety laws and learned that AK does not require safety or emissions inspections and that they don't generally apply salt to roadways. Apparently they use an alternative non corrosive formula on most of their roads. Consequently they don't have much a problem with rusted out vehicles as much as we do in New England.

I recently got some quotes for both Waxoyl and Fluid film applications and this is what I came up with.

Fluid Film application applied once every 2 years $100-$250 and roughly 1.5-3 hours of labor.

Waxoyl one time application that supposedly lasts for life of the vehicle $1,200-$1,500 and roughly 5-8 hours labor.

Various forums make claim to either or as being sufficient in protecting your vehicle for corrosion. Some folks claim the fluid film is pretty much a cheap engine oil applied and that is supposedly washes right off very easily. Others claim that the Waxoyl treatment dries up and cracks into pieces and falls off thus exposing your underside to the elements. All I can say is that NH has a dedicated website to Fluid film.

https://nhoilundercoating.com/fluid-film-undercoating-2/

Old 01-26-2018, 09:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I read on another forum if you spray it on, let it sit, then use a wire brush it will remove rust/corrosion. Reported to have a strong smell, though not unpleasnt. Going to get some and try it.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:26 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Depending on how things go in the next month I too may be jumping on board with fluid film. I would much rather go with Waxoyl but I can't afford the $1200-$1500 for the job right now. I will have the shop clean the underside vigorously then let it dry then I'll take high res pictures before and after the application and keep records for next year when I review how the product held up.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

You could buy the waxoyl with application guns and do it yourself for $600. You'd just need a compressor.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:16 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fluid film is awesome. I live at the outer Banks.
We are in an island, Southwest wind all summer blowing salt spray off the ocean.
Northeast all winter blowing salt spray from the sound....

I have been using fluid film for 20 years. It was used by the Navy for corrosion protection. It's foodsafe, and lubricates awesome.. not a great penetrant but for everything else it's awesome..

Bare mild steel coated with it shows no rust after 6 months.