Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flying to look at an 04 D2 on Monday

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Flying to look at an 04 D2 on Monday

Yep, unlike you statesiders, down here in the Virgin Islands we don't have a selection of used land rovers to look at. I checked some out last time I was up in the states and have always liked the Discovery's. Now I've found an 04 (best year right?) with 120k miles on it over in PR, and I'm flying there Monday just to check it out.

Just wanted to say how much I appreciate reading everyone's posts. I've learned a ton about what to look for (overheating/front drive shaft/warning lights, etc.) when I check this beast over on Monday. I'll be taking a flashlight and my cheap odbII scanner.

If all goes according to plan, and I can reach a reasonable deal then I'll arrange shipping and it will be on St. Croix in a few short weeks. Keep your fingers crossed!

Thanks,
Scott.

PS. Any last minute advice on things to check appreciated.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:47 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Drive it and turn it on/off enough to allow any cleared codes to recycle or reappear.

Then after the test drive swing into an auto parts store and get the codes read for free.

See if they have documents on when the HG's were changed and whether the heads were machined or not.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

shift the tcase to make sure all operations are working. also windows, roofs, locks

Old 01-17-2014, 02:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Look for leaking gear oil at the rear brakes. That's a sign of bad hubs. Put it in low range and activate the HDC, accelerate to about 15 mph then take your foot off of the gas and see if the system does a good job of slowing the truck down to a crawl. Make sure the center rear seat belt doesn't jam when the seat gets folded down. Try to spin the cooling fan by hand when cold to see if the viscous clutch is any good. Check the top of the radiator to make sure the tanks aren't patched at the stupid screws for the fan shroud. Drink rum punch.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Except for the cost of gas in the USVI (which is mitigated by the lack of much roadway), and the fact that the steering wheel is on the wrong side (like all of the other cars there, for the roadway) what a perfect vehicle for the USVI!!!! Great choice. It will stand out. Like that! +1. You won't have any harder time getting parts than the rest of use who don't live close to dealerships and you might actually be close to one (BVI have one?). The few times I have been there it seemed like most of the cars were tiny clunkers or.... water trucks. You will be King of the Road.

If I was buying a used one I would definitely drive it for at least 20 minutes to see if the codes had been reset, and read any codes that pop up. Really, the only thing I would be scared away by is any sort of cylinder misfire or any outrageous pressure/temp readings, especially since you will probably never get over 50 mph in the USVI. Floor it a few times and see if it hesitates. Stop and shift into low and try the hill descent button (it will ding and you see a graphic on the dash display). Any abrupt clunks while driving/changing gears (except for a small one when you put your foot on the gas after coasting) would be a cause for concern.

That engine should idle pretty smooth if it has no problems.

The pulleys should be smooth too... if you hear alot of noise from the pulleys just be aware that, except for the tensioner pulley, they are not readily available at local shops.

Maybe another consideration for you will be any leaking of rain/hurricane water. Gaskets and seals can get expensive, and any that need to be replaced should be reflected in the price.

Check all of the door locks! Wow those motors are expensive and a PITA to replace.

I would look underneath for any leaks from the engine, transmission, or transfer case (they are in that order under the truck) and trace the source of the leak. The higher the leak, the more difficult it is to fix, until you get back up to the very top.

I would smell the exhaust to see if there is a sweet smell (from antifreeze).

If I had time I would jack up each corner and try wiggling the tires, to see if there is any bearing problem (since the bearings on Disco II hubs are sealed and whole hub has to be replaced if one goes out). I would also just do some push pull on the driveshafts to see if there is any play (which would indicate bad U joints). I would look at the bushings on all of the moving parts at the front, underneath and be sure there is no slack in the steering while driving.

That's what I would do anyway, along with asking lots of questions. Best of luck!

Old 01-18-2014, 09:00 AM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for all the tips. Unfortunately i got a call from the dealer saying they couldnt get it started so the trip is off. An 02 just came up for sale on STT but overpriced at 8k.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:11 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by stxscott
Thanks for all the tips. Unfortunately i got a call from the dealer saying they couldnt get it started so the trip is off. An 02 just came up for sale on STT but overpriced at 8k.
If it is a Land Rover dealer that's a real bad sign. If not they probably don't know to hit the inertial switch, which takes all of 2 seconds. Too bad.

8k seems high unless it is in pristine condition with low miles.

You should get someone on the forum in a major city with an airport to find a couple of possibilities for you. Discoveries are so plentiful in Florida and that would be a direct flight for you.