Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flywell and torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 07:17 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation flywell and torque converter

I pulled off my engine which was locked, the fly wheel and torque converter they both were attached together, I want to know how I can separate each other, and also I want to know if I have to install the torque converter in the Transmision before I install the engine. I dont know if some one undestand what I try to explain ,but this is my first time doing this type of job which I enjoy to do. hope some one can helpe me,
I have two land rover discovery 11 one 2000 and the other one is 2002 I'm working in the 2000.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Is the engine already removed from the vehicle? Either way, to unbolt the converter from the flywheel, you need to remove the rubber plug on the right hand side of the engine bellhousing, then rotate the flywheel until you can access a bolt through the hole in the bellhousing.

On reinstall, install the torque converter on the transmission, replace engine, and then bolt the two together.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
On reinstall, install the torque converter on the transmission, replace engine, and then bolt the two together.
You'll want to make sure the torque converter is fully seated, and engaged into the pump, or you might break the pump in the transmission.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The torque converter bolts to the flywheel.
You need to unbolt it.
Install the torque converter first, then the engine, then bolt the 2 together.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
You'll want to make sure the torque converter is fully seated, and engaged into the pump, or you might break the pump in the transmission.

Yes, this is correct. Also, now would be a good time to change the front pump seal on the transmission. Fill the converter before reinstall. I remember it being rather a bear to get the full torque converter lined up on the transmission when I did this job years ago.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:05 AM
5th Gear

Good Morning, I haved removed the fly wheel and torque converter, but now I have to remove the hub so I can change the crankshaft seal. How I remove the hub? Do I need to use a pullet? That is what I think but I want to make sure that I do this rigth. Thank for you help

Old 01-11-2012, 08:16 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

crankshaft seal or rear main seal?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:16 AM
5th Gear
Default How to remove the hub from crankshaft

Good morning, I haved removed the fly wheel and the torque converter, when I removed the fly wheel I find out that I have to remove the hub or bushing so I can replace the crankshaft seal, so can some tell me how I have to removed the hub. I think that I need to use a pullet but I want to make sure that I do it right. Thanks for you help

Old 01-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the flywheel should bolt right to the back of the crankshaft if i remember correctly

Old 01-12-2012, 07:48 AM
5th Gear
Default seal

Originally Posted by drowssap
crankshaft seal or rear main seal?
It is the real seal .

Quick Reply: flywell and torque converter