Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fob advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 05:39 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fob advice?

Hi all, thinking about buying one of these $130 key fobs on ebay. I talked to my local LR dealership and they quoted me $400-$500 for the key and programming. I figure I can get fob with barcode and then have them program it. Anyone had experience with this?

Old 11-02-2016, 07:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Which key do you have? I just converted my OEM 2004 D2 keys into these $9.99 eBay shells and they look 100% authentic

2 Button Remote Key Fob Case Shell for Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 V8 Repair Kits | eBay

I had tried another cheap eBay FOB in the past but the key blade did not fit well into the plastic case, the kit I just recommended is a perfect (tight) fit for my key blades and even says Valeo on the back

Old 11-02-2016, 10:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

bought a Nanocom for $400 and programmed two keys that came with the car when i bought the D2 used. also used it to bleed my brakes and it will read all sorts of functions on the vehicle. or find some one close by with a nanocom to program a key for ya.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:30 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the replies. All I have is a metal key, bought it that way. The nanocom looks really neat. I already have an icarsoft and an ultra gauge, it would be hard to justify another gadget. Did you need the barcodes on the keys to program?

Old 11-02-2016, 10:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ya, there is a sticker on the back of the electrical board with a combination of letters and numbers thats used to program the vehicle to the key fob.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:50 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Hephaestus
Thanks for the replies. All I have is a metal key, bought it that way. The nanocom looks really neat. I already have an icarsoft and an ultra gauge, it would be hard to justify another gadget. Did you need the barcodes on the keys to program?
You need the barcode for the dealer to program and you need the sticker on the circuit board for a Nanocom or Autologic to code to your vehicle.

Put your location in your signature, maybe a member can help.

Last edited by abran; 11-02-2016 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:25 PM
Drifting

Great info, I'm in the south Seattle area. Thanks for all the help!

Old 11-03-2016, 01:22 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I did the same as FloridaRover, nine dollar fob and used the same circuit board with a new battery. Also had a new key cut off the original as it was wearing out too. That took two tries, one at a hardware store where they failed, then at a lock shop which showed me how the hardware store failed.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:03 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Since you don't have any fob at the moment, you'll need someone to interface with the car and sync a new one. There's a guy that advertises on my local craigslist selling the service, with a new key/fob for $130 out the door. Local folks with nanocom will usually do just the programming for $50.

Your other alternative is to go with an aftermarket keyless/alarm setup, but it will probably end up costing just about as much as your quoted prices in the end.

Best bet is calling up a local independent LR repair shop and see what it would cost to get a fob and have it synced. My guess would be $200 or less. The dealership is going to charge you more for the labor, and may give you a hard time about sourcing your own parts.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:03 PM
Drifting

After calling every locksmith in the city I finally got a hold of the guys at Lamorna Garage in north Seattle. They were super helpful even recommended before I buy a key to stop by and make sure the truck is able to be programmed. If I provide the key fob they can do it for $50. Sweet! stay tuned...

Quick Reply: Fob advice?