Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FOB Key will work?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 09:39 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FOB Key will work?

I need help with this:
An smart guy tried to pry open the driver door in my Disco (the only key lock in all four doors) and break the pin that goes to the actuator. I was able to enter into the car, because the "thieve-wanna-be" leave the car open. Then, the alarm trigger the safety on the engine an voila!, my Disco will no start. I went to the dealer and they ordered a new lock and handle at England, most came programed according to the vehicle ID, in order to work. Is going to take between 4 to 6 weeks, in the meantime "no car". LOL! My question is: I don't have an original FOB key, if I go to the dealer and order one for this vehicle (must be programed too), do I'll be able to deactivate the securiy alarm and start the vehicle? These guys from the Land Rover weren't capable to answer that question, they told that I have to try. Any thoughts? If this is possible I'll go for it, otherwise I'll wait for the allready ordered part. Please!

Old 10-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm...you posted this in two spots, so i'll post my response in two spots too!

Wait...the dealer is THAT DUMB?! Okay....take your door handle off, then stick a screw-driver in where the pin goes and crank it to the left. Viola, your vehicle will disarm itself. I had the same problem.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:48 PM
Mudding

ps. I ordered a new door handle off'a ebay for $50. It was used but it's gunna get dirty anyway

Old 10-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

"nail" part intact. If it is broken, you will be in the same spot. Good Luck, Phil

Old 10-29-2010, 04:23 PM
3rd Gear

I am currently experiencing a similar situation. My key moves freely in the slot and does not engage to unlock my vehicle (1999 Disco II). While attempting to open the vehicle the red light on the dash flashes rapidly. I am trying to determine the most effective course of action to get my vehicle operational again. Do I have a lock smith get my car open, then take off the handle and disable the system or is there another efficient and cost effective way to facilitate entering and driving my vehicle? You advise is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Muncko
I am currently experiencing a similar situation. My key moves freely in the slot and does not engage to unlock my vehicle (1999 Disco II). While attempting to open the vehicle the red light on the dash flashes rapidly. I am trying to determine the most effective course of action to get my vehicle operational again. Do I have a lock smith get my car open, then take off the handle and disable the system or is there another efficient and cost effective way to facilitate entering and driving my vehicle? You advise is greatly appreciated.
I'm assuming that your remote doesn't work either.
If your metal rod that turns the locking mechanism is broke like mine was:

The best way to do it is to
A) Take needle-nose pliers, and unhook both of your horns thru your front grille.
B) Have a lock-smith come out and open it thru the rear-hatch (this is the easiest way we found out)
C) As soon as he gets it unlocked, it's gunna go into lock-down mode. You'll have to climb thru the back of the vehicle and manually unlock the doors.
D) You'll have to take apart your driver's door and take off your handle so that you can get a screwdriver (that's what i used) and turn where the rod goes to the left.
E) Viola, it should disarm itself.

Just don't re-lock it, otherwise you'll have to go thru the whole extravagansa again lol.

Good luck!

ps. Don't forget to connect your horns again after all of this is over.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:53 PM
3rd Gear
Talking Success

A big mahalo out to all those on the forum who provided input into my situation, especially "Bama Boy". Getting into my rover was the most difficult part of the evolution and it required two different agencies. The first guy just gave up after ten minutes and told me that I needed to tow the vehicle to the dealer. It took the second guy an hour and a half to get in. Once in the vehicle, I followed the instructions from this forum and was able to replace the "nail. My rover is now FMC. Again thanks to all who contributed.

(FMC = Fully Mission Capable )

Old 11-03-2010, 09:38 AM
4wd Low
Unhappy Pleasssse!

I got into the same situation, I was "lucky" that the door was open (the "thieve to be" leave it like that), I entered the car, get into the alarm mode, I removed the panel door, the nail was broken, but I can't be able to figuring out, how to remove the door handle. Can you help me out? Thanks!

Old 11-03-2010, 11:40 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't tell you how many disco two locks I have disarmed using the screwdriver method. But thankfully the door was open. Range rovers are easier by pulling up and down on the rod to the cylinder the thing opens up and disarms itself. You name it I have had to do everything the hard way in the back parking lot to get these vehicles inside.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:20 AM
4wd Low

Looks, like everybody knows how to remove the door handle, besides me. Can somebody tell me hotw to do that. I open the door, remove the panel, the nail is broken, I know that I the alarm can be deactivate with a screwdriver, but ....HOW IN THE WORLD I REMOVE THE HANDLE!..... Thanks to all that can help me with this!

Quick Reply: FOB Key will work?