Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog light replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 05:41 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog light replacement

When I bought my 98 Disco I noticed that the fog light lens seemed loose on both sides. Today I figured I would take them apart, clean them and put them back together. No problem on the driver’s side however the passenger’s side was completely rust through and the inside mirrored part fell apart in my hands.

Does anyone know if I can place both sides with Bosch or some other rectangular light or do I need to buy a new right side fog from the dealer?

Thanks

Old 09-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Fog light replacement

You can prety much use whoever's light you want as long as it fits or you can modofy the holder.
Mike

Old 09-04-2006, 12:06 PM
4wd Low

Thanks Mike -

Since I need to use the factory mounts (they screw in from the sides) I was wondering if anyone knew of a direct replacement or at least something that may require limited modifications.

On another note, if I want to add round fogs to my brush guard, do I mount the toggle switch to the inside dash somewhere or can I use a real Land Rover switch where one of my blanks are?

Thanks

Old 09-07-2006, 01:59 AM
Three Wheeling

Hi Baysiderover,

I have a '97 Disco. My driving lights needed some work as well (I am not too impressed with the design of them). I reinforced the brackets and "re-engineered" the mount/lens holding system. Seems to be holding for now.... I don't know of any direct replacement for the factory lights. If you install aftermarket lights, you'll have to figure out a new mounting system (but you already know that). I would check to see if you can find some used lights somewhere.

Regarding your question about your brush gaurd lights, I have Hellas on my guard. I bought the 55w lights and added 100 w bulbs. I installed a second fog light swith in the dash blank like you would like to do. Not too difficult. I think I had to file a rib on the housing or the switch (each switch is keyed for the hole, but it is easy to "rekey" it). I found a factory plug in a junk yard to connect to it. I also had to install a relay for the lights (the switch can't handle the power the lights need). This was a few years back, so I can't remember the exact details, but I figure if I can do it anyone can!

Good Luck,
Tim

Old 09-07-2006, 10:42 AM
4wd Low

Hoberock -

I will continue my search for the replacement fog light and thanks for the info on the other fog light setup! That was the info I was looking for.

Brad

Old 09-08-2006, 10:55 PM
Three Wheeling

Hoberock,

Funny this should come up at the same time I'm wiring up some hella's. I am having issues with the switch I'm using. The little red indicator light is on when the lights are off and off when they're on. Did you have any similar problems? The switch works great but that indicator light is a weird deal. The weirdest part about it is that I had it working out of the car... just running it to a battery. I started a post with all the details.