Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Form/Function Rover parts needed...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 02:17 AM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Form/Function Rover parts needed...

DiscoMike recommended I look at Rovertym.com and I am picking up the rear bumper, rock sliders, and maybe the gas tank skid from them in the next few weeks but I really do not like their front end protection whatsoever. I know that they work for what they are intended but they aren't appealing at all visually imo. Any other parts that work or options for sliders/rear bumpers that work? also looking for a low profile roof rack. I don't like the taller racks. I wish the ARB front ends were better as I really like this one.

I'm not sure if this picture works but I really like this front end. Anything that is better that looks similar?

Old 03-06-2009, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

First off, where are you located and what kind of wheeling do you plan to do with your new toy? You've owned the car for about 10 days and are already buying bumpers/sliders/skid plates? Sweet, but.....

That must mean that you have completed everything on the 60k mile service list,
checked all vacuum lines and wire harness for wear and tear, checked the life of your brake hardware and determined they are within spec, have NO lights on the dash that are not supposed to be there (esp the oil pressure switch), lubed all door locks, hinges, handles etc.,the engine doesn't tick/tap at any time, you've learned what your MPG is and realized it is within range for your driving style and there isn't something else affecting it, checked your valve cover gaskets, valley pan gasket, head gaskets and throttle body heater gasket for external leaks, you have read your owners manual about 5 times, tested your HDC and heard what TC sounds like, your coolant level has remained at the correct mark for at least a month of normal driving, you have the RAVE manual, you've laid on your back face up under your discovery for at least 30 min and looked and poked around, you understand how installing bumpers/sliders/ and other add-ons will affect your stock suspension and MPG.....

You have rebuilt your front drive shaft.

You found out what was the ticking sound you had on 2-25-09 and resolved it.

You repaired the iginition switch issue you had on 2-27-09.

I say all this because bumper/rocksliders, and skid plates wont get you home from the mall/trail or anywhere else if YOUR newly acquired Discovery isn't in top shape. Before buying off road add-ons, make sure your Disco has absolutely no mechanical, electrical, or drive-line issues, ANYWHERE.

If all of the above has been done, then knock your self out..esp if stimulating the economy isn't an issue for you...

Last edited by jycsalas; 03-06-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:47 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I couldn't agree with jycsalas more. Make sure your vehicle is in perfect condition before going and adding off-road toys. Also keep in mind that if you aren't really going to wheel your Disco that those fancy bumpers aren't going to do anything for you but add weight and hurt your gas mileage. And make sure to look into a lift with heavy duty springs if you plan on a winch up front. Your stock springs won't last long under that much weight hung off the front of the truck.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Another thing if you plan on doing off road driving:
YES, these are Land Rovers and most of us, if not all believe they are the "BEST4x4xfar" (at least mine is lol cuz i have the sticker!)...but your rig is only as good as your driving skills. TRUST US on that!

There have been TOO MANY excited Land Rover owners who within 2 weeks or less of ownership roll it over and total it. Accidents happen, but some are avoidable.

Don't be stupid, practice, practice, practice esp in beginner level trails before hitting anything big, join a 4x4 club pref a Land Rover type and learn as much as you can about driving these vehicles off road, maybe even have an experienced "offroader" drive your vehicle somewhere safe, with you in it to teach you a few pointers.

I think your 1st off road mod should be getting your CDL equipped, of course AFTER you've done what I said in my previous post.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:37 AM
KBW
Mudding

what does lubing a door handle have to do with changing a bumper?

I already said in another post that the noise has gone away after doing several things in the 60K. I will be finished with the 60K and installing new pads/rotors later today. I've checked the gas mileage through 3 tanks and of course it is consistently bad (average right around 15 75%+ hwy). I've driven this rover from Clemson to Columbia, Clemson to Charleston, and a few days ago Clemson to Atlanta with no problems. I only have a faint steering noise at low speeds right now but we are going to figure that out today. I got the key issue taken care of after taking it apart and then putting some graphite lube after I cleaned it and put it back in. Pictures of most of the 60K will come later this weekend (these have much better light than my middle of the night wiper pics). I have to order a tom woods drive shaft anyway so I'm not worried about that atm (I think mine is about done).

I'm going to change out the stock suspension (2-3 inch lift), drive shaft, brake lines, etc before I ever put on the bumpers, sliders, lights etc. I just want to have it all in so I know what I'm working with. The lift will be in the next week or two I have to figure out what I'm wanting to/needing to use.

I'm already prepared to replace the engine block and will probably go ahead and do it before it blows. I get most bosch products 60% off so it is easier for me to go ahead and replace the block than to have it blow up on me way off the road somewhere.

I'm not a big fan of what mud does to a vehicle but I have loved trails since I was 9 driving my timberwolf through the woods and will stick to the surrounding hills/mountains and stay out of deep mud as much as possible. To answer the HDC ? I used that for the first time about an hour ago and everything was fine with that other than getting approached by a developer but he just wanted to talk about the disco.

I know I ask a ton of ?'s about minor things but I'd rather know and have the right/best part or do something the right way than keep quiet and have a crappy part or do a poor job.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:46 AM
KBW
Mudding

Originally Posted by jycsalas
Another thing if you plan on doing off road driving:
YES, these are Land Rovers and most of us, if not all believe they are the "BEST4x4xfar" (at least mine is lol cuz i have the sticker!)...but your rig is only as good as your driving skills. TRUST US on that!

There have been TOO MANY excited Land Rover owners who within 2 weeks or less of ownership roll it over and total it. Accidents happen, but some are avoidable.

Don't be stupid, practice, practice, practice esp in beginner level trails before hitting anything big, join a 4x4 club pref a Land Rover type and learn as much as you can about driving these vehicles off road, maybe even have an experienced "offroader" drive your vehicle somewhere safe, with you in it to teach you a few pointers.

I think your 1st off road mod should be getting your CDL equipped, of course AFTER you've done what I said in my previous post.
I agree with this post 100%. I'm joining the on campus 4x4 club (somebody has a red defender in it) but I know that probably isn't what you mean by 4x4 club. I definitely take most things involving my vehicles on the safe side and I plan on learning a lot more about the rover before I do anything serious. I have to get new tires before I do much as it has aggressive street tred on it at the moment.

I also have talked with DiscoMike about the CDL and am working on finding out more about that as well.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Original KBW: I get most bosch products 60% off so it is easier for me to go ahead and replace the block than to have it blow up on me way off the road somewhere.
Bosch doesn't make your 4.6 engine. They make the engine management system... For all this $, i would sell your 03 and get an 04 which already has CDL equipped and hopefully no oil pump issues.

Keep asking questions and you'll keep receiving answers, and our thoughts/opinions. This helps all of us.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:12 AM
KBW
Mudding

Originally Posted by jycsalas
Bosch doesn't make your 4.6 engine. They make the engine management system... For all this $, i would sell your 03 and get an 04 which already has CDL equipped and hopefully no oil pump issues.

Keep asking questions and you'll keep receiving answers, and our thoughts/opinions. This helps all of us.
what is this??

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9257D.cfm

Old 03-06-2009, 10:50 AM
KBW
Mudding

Ok I see the difference in the engines now. I don't think I could sell somebody my disco with the bad vin. I'd feel horrible if someone bought it and it blew up soon after.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

You don't have to hide it. You never know, a buyer might buy it from you and just replace the oil pump so it can last them another 60k miles which may be a good deal for them.

Your call of course.

Quick Reply: Form/Function Rover parts needed...