Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Foxwell users Help?? Ready to smash it against the wall

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 07:18 PM
SWM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry Foxwell users Help?? Ready to smash it against the wall

So I received the Foxwell NT809 I ordered. I hope there are other foxwell users that can help me if I'm doing something wrong. Others have been successfully using the 500 series for ABS codes, etc.

**I already know the Nanocom/LR specific stories, etc. I got this scanner because I need it for my other cars too.

So it will not read the VIN automatically and only shows 2005+ for the auto vin search, when I manually input the vin it says it is unrecognized, when I manually select Discovery 1998-2004 it will read the Engine ECU and a few other ones but not all. It especially won't read the ABS codes and can't see the ABS ECU module. It says it can't communicate. I know it can somewhat communicate because it reads the Engine ECU and when I try to communicate with the ABS ECU it illuminates the ABS, Traction control, etc lights but says no communication. I hope it's me doing something wrong because it has so many vehicles functionality and has so much promise. But if it can't even connect to get ABS codes, that crappy for a unit at that price point and will have to go back.

I tried the chat for tech support but no answer yet.

This is what I'm seeing:

Old 03-21-2022, 08:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

I use a 512 I think the issue maybe later models may not support older trucks. The one you have seems to be an OBD reader only, no additional functions for Land rover

Old 03-21-2022, 08:30 PM
SWM
Three Wheeling

I was told it has all the functionality of the lower 500 series, just includes the software for lots of models and makes.

Old 03-21-2022, 08:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

No help with the newer model but when I read modules on my 510(?) it lights up the dash like a Christmas tree just like that. There is a generic OBD2 and LR specific on mine. The auto search doesn't work but it lists the 99-2004 models as a manual option.

Could be a bad flash/software on the tool? Truthfully I wouldn't buy a Foxwell again, there are some functions that it says it does successfully but when you read the module again it didn't do anything. I don't have a 2nd Diag tool to confirm it did or did not do anything.

YouTube ScannerDanner has a Topdon unit that he is touting as a jack of all trades with 2-way data. Might look at that one?

Old 03-22-2022, 06:25 AM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

I have a Foxwell NT650 Elite. It has the same problems that yours does -- not able to read the VIN, and not recognising it when I enter the VIN manually, which blocks access to anything but basic OBDII actions. Seems like it's how their software is built. I would return it and get something better.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:02 AM
SWM
Three Wheeling

UPDATE: So the support people sent me a patch file to input to the machine. I am now able to get into the ABS and other ECU modules.

It was able to read the ABS codes "amigos" even though they are not currently illuminated It shows a past code: "Shuttle Valve switch electrical failure" which I assume would be fixed with the Option B rewire method.

Also, The real time data looks promising in the short time I have been able to use it. Individual wheel speeds, door lock/unlock, engine diagnostics and graphing while running, etc. I have not tested the two way function yet but it appears to be there as well which will come in handy if I have to diagnose engine issues and some sensors, etc. Hopefully I don't even need them.

I did use the machine on my wife's 2015 FORD Flex and I agree the Foxwell is mostly made for newer vehicles. It was really cool for the modern car to self diagnose, etc. Oh Well, our D2's have a different kind of charm.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:45 AM
TReK

Those past codes won't go away on their own, even if you fix the cause. You have to clear them manually.
Nice that you got it to work with a patch!

Old 03-23-2022, 08:51 AM
SWM
Three Wheeling

I'm going to leave them in there till I do the "B" fix so I can monitor if it is resolved.

Old 04-09-2022, 06:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 216 Likes on 143 Posts

@SWM Curious to know if you had a chance to see what engine parameters the Foxwell can read on the D2? I tried a couple of “cheap” no man bidirectional scanners and annoying I can get misfire counts but not on which cylinder for example.

Old 04-10-2022, 06:59 AM
TReK

All readers will give you misfire codes for each cylinder (P0301-P0308) unless it's a non-specific issue. That's part of the OBD-III spec.

Quick Reply: Foxwell users Help?? Ready to smash it against the wall