Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Foxwell users Help?? Ready to smash it against the wall

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 10:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 216 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
All readers will give you misfire codes for each cylinder (P0301-P0308) unless it's a non-specific issue. That's part of the OBD-III spec.
Problem is I don’t have any codes for misfires. It’s an intermittent misfire at idle. Trying to figure out if it’s just a random misfire across multiple cylinders or specific to one.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:09 AM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

If there are no codes, NO reader is going to tell you which cylinder(s) is/are the problem.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:50 AM
SWM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't tried the two way (Active) engine diagnostics yet. I have only briefly played around with the features used while the car is "running"

It would be a good resource for finding an intermittent misfire because it will graph each cylinder and does show short history.

I would still not recommend the foxwell for our '04 units because most of the intelligent features and self checks are only for newer cars. When I used it on my 2015 ford it was awesome and has so many more features/advanced features. It's partially the age of the car more than the unit.

Old 04-12-2022, 04:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 216 Likes on 143 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I have an LR4 as well and wanted a scanner that would work on both of my current vehicles as well as other makes in the future. I know the nanocom will display per cylinder misfire counts but like you, I need additional vehicle support. It’s been frustrating trying to find a good modern scanner that has decent support for the D2 but I guess there is not a big market for that

Last edited by zski128; 04-13-2022 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:26 AM
SWM
Three Wheeling

A LR4 is on my list and that's another reason I wanted a unit that would work on more vehicles without paying for each vehicle separately. The 2005 plus Disco's LR3, 4, etc show up as an advanced feature model on the unit. Any of the cars that show up automatically for auto VIN identification and allow advanced features and their auto check feature would be a breeze to use and much more feature rich. The large tablet design and ability to have advanced features on all makes is a plus. I may get the bluetooth/wireless dongle which will allow using the unit in front of the engine or under the car which is a cool feature.

Old 05-02-2022, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=SWM;818782]So I received the Foxwell NT809 I ordered. I hope there are other foxwell users that can help me if I'm doing something wrong. Others have been successfully using the 500 series for ABS codes, etc.

**I already know the Nanocom/LR specific stories, etc. I got this scanner because I need it for my other cars too.

So it will not read the VIN automatically and only shows 2005+ for the auto vin search, when I manually input the vin it says it is unrecognized, when I manually select Discovery 1998-2004 it will read the Engine ECU and a few other ones but not all. It especially won't read the ABS codes and can't see the ABS ECU module. It says it can't communicate. I know it can somewhat communicate because it reads the Engine ECU and when I try to communicate with the ABS ECU it illuminates the ABS, Traction control, etc lights but says no communication. I hope it's me doing something wrong because it has so many vehicles functionality and has so much promise. But if it can't even connect to get ABS codes, that crappy for a unit at that price point and will have to go back.

I tried the chat for tech support but no answer yet.

This is what I'm seeing:

I have same problem like this with my foxwell nt809 which is i use to scan my Discovery 2 (Td5) 2003. How can we solve this problem? Do you have a link directly to the foxwell technicall support? Because i have sent this problem through the complain seksyen inside the nt809 but until now there is no response from foxwell.

Old 05-20-2022, 09:05 AM
SWM
Three Wheeling

They did push me a fix so it would read the ABS codes and the advanced functions worked. However, the auto VIN discovery is an advanced function that would only work on 2005+ models. Have you done the regular update? they push updates to all users sometimes.

I got a good response from emailing their tech support after chatting them online. support@foxwelldiag.com

Old 05-20-2022, 09:24 AM
Winching
Received 128 Likes on 112 Posts

Even some Land Rover dealership $10,000 scanners can't read the vin on a D1 - they don't have the software. Hard to find a shop to deal with codes on D1's these days - sometimes they will blame your D1 saying something like we have the software but it couldn't read your computer - that is code for we don't have the necessary software on our scanner. I like that you can go to an Auto Zone and use their capture scanner for free - they have a central database they tap into on their computers and it can read any code for any make model year. Of course it won't clear the code but at least you know what you are dealing with. My ABS light came on my 96' D1 and I scanned it - showed code 26 (brake switch) and then you can buy a switch install it yourself and then go somewhere that has the ability to clear the code.

Last edited by disco96sd; 05-20-2022 at 09:29 AM.