Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front bumper options

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 11:00 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Front bumper options

Sorry I know this is a well-worn subject...

Right now I'm leaning towards the tactical rovers Lucky8 Llc. - Take the road less traveled...

Just would like to know all my options before ordering.

HLC isn't around still are they?

Old 01-05-2015, 11:07 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

terrafirma

Old 01-05-2015, 11:48 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Consider ordering the Tactical bumper from California, where it's made, instead of New York. You may get a better deal on shipping. Or maybe Lucky8 can have it drop shipped. I don't mean to dis L8. As far as I know, they're a good source. T44 (as Tactical Rovers is known now) is as well.

Also consider whether you really want a giant plate steel and tube cage bumper. It's strong, has good recovery points, and will mow down the deer without busting your turn signal, but it will also act a bit like an anchor on the front of your rig, needlessly destroy innocents you might happen to t-bone, and improve your fuel consumption, all the while not providing much benefit.

You'll think to yourself, I can use my Hi-Lift jack on it, whereas I can't with the plastic bumper. That may be true, but you'll also find that you probably can't actually lift a wheel with the Hi-Lift on the bumper. I can't, and if I even get close, it gets scary. I almost always use a small jack under the axle or control arm. There's tons of situations like deep mud where that won't work, but neither will a Hi-Lift. The bottom line is I've found in practical experience that Hi-Lift's are better farm tools than self-recovery aids, that they're heavy, dangerous, and require heavy and dangerous steel bumpers. Don't get me wrong. I have all this stuff. I just question it, whether it's really right, or if I bought it because I was led to believe it's necessary.

If I were to do it again, I wouldn't keep the stock bumpers for sure. But I would not buy giant plate steel and tube cage bumpers like TJM, ARB, RTE, or T44. I would have something custom made to hold the winch and with lighter wings and no bull-bar or stinger.

The following users liked this post:
G150driver (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 10:24 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats the reason I built my own i couldnt find a bumper that was strong yet still light I didnt like the big bulky look on alot of the offerings out there ...RTE has some of in my opinions the nicer looking ones out there ....

Old 01-05-2015, 10:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Didn't you just describe the Terrafirma low profile bumper?

The following users liked this post:
drowssap (01-06-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 11:39 PM
Drifting

no not really I don't believe the terra firma is a boxed design its a u channel design and its a bit wide and blocky looking ....but that's just my opinion ...

Old 01-06-2015, 08:52 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

TF is not a box design, it is a U-channel.

We only sell Tactical Rovers as a way to help them promote their business. We drop ship from them as their bumpers are made to order. I do not stock anything of theirs.

HLC is no longer around.

What are you looking to do with the truck? What is your main concern for a front bumper and where do you take your truck? What is your budget? These are all questions I ask before we consider any options.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:10 PM
Drifting

lol sorry thats what I meant the terra firma is NOT a boxed design ...

Old 01-07-2015, 10:01 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by WNYErikDiscoII
TF is not a box design, it is a U-channel.

We only sell Tactical Rovers as a way to help them promote their business. We drop ship from them as their bumpers are made to order. I do not stock anything of theirs.

HLC is no longer around.

What are you looking to do with the truck? What is your main concern for a front bumper and where do you take your truck? What is your budget? These are all questions I ask before we consider any options.
Thanks for the responses and feedback.

Erik, the truck is not a daily driver, I just use it mostly for light off roading (camping, shooting, exploring trails, etc) on the weekends. My wife does drive it on occasion (hence the reason for the need of a new bumper). I am in southern nevada so just lots of dusty roads and lots of bumper height brush. As for budget, I really don't have any particular number in mind that I would like to spend. Just want a solid, quality bumper. I would like to be able to add driving lights and a winch at some point as well.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:02 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by tattz
thats the reason I built my own i couldnt find a bumper that was strong yet still light I didnt like the big bulky look on alot of the offerings out there ...RTE has some of in my opinions the nicer looking ones out there ....
Ya I saw your thread... bumper looks great! If you decide to build another, let me know

Quick Reply: Front bumper options