Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front cross-bar rusted in half?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Front cross-bar rusted in half?

Yikes, I just replaced my steering damper, and like clockwork.. discovered a new problem as I fixed another.

So it's literally split - the two sides aren't touching anymore. I took a picture that I'll upload in a bit, but there's a large chunk (~6-8") missing between the two sections on the side facing the rear of the vehicle. Looks like it was hit possibly (previous owner) then proceeded to rust apart.. but I'm not sure. This is the bar that attached with two bolts on the outter side of each frame rail, then drops below the radiator just above the lower bumper cover, then up around the outside of opposite frame rail.

I'm guessing this is structurally important?

edit: I kinda pried away a few pieces with a screwdriver to get to the stronger metal, which is why it looks like a larger hole.

Attached Thumbnails Front cross-bar rusted in half?-photo7.jpg  

Last edited by EstorilM; 03-01-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think what you're talking about is just a bumper support bar... Not a big deal. BUT, how's the rest of the frame? Sounds like it may be time for a good undercarriage cleaning and then spraying with some Rustoleum Rust Reformer!

Old 03-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco_Fever
I think what you're talking about is just a bumper support bar... Not a big deal. BUT, how's the rest of the frame? Sounds like it may be time for a good undercarriage cleaning and then spraying with some Rustoleum Rust Reformer!
Yeah it's the thing that the bumper attaches to with the 3 screws (missing) however it's a large bar, with 4x ~7/16 bolts attaching it to the main frame rails.. so it seems kinda important. The rest of the frame has an outer layer of rust but looks fine structurally. I've already applied the rubberized undercoating to the rear 1/3rd of the vehicle including rear diff - can't wait to do the rest! I bought the thing from Long Island NY (mucho salt) and live in Northern VA, so it's not ideal conditions for rust prevention.. but hopefully she'll stay in one piece.