Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Crossmember Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

They're not secrets, it's common knowledge to anyone who asks the right person. I gain nothing by lying about this, so why would I? This has gone from you preaching for the crossmember to attacking me for being "in the know".

Bottom line, if it were necessary it'd be on my disco, instead of in my garage.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When (if) my suspension gets modified for more drop out, I'm going to make spacers for it. For two reasons.

1. I have the metal and tools to make the spacers for nearly no cost.
2. That exact cross member took the impact of me running over a rather tall rock that I shouldn't have driven over when the truck was on stock suspension. Saved some of the other parts from possible damage.

Chances are, you're probably fine without it. But I figure since I've got the stuff laying around to do it, why not?

Old 04-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
They're not secrets, it's common knowledge to anyone who asks the right person. I gain nothing by lying about this, so why would I? This has gone from you preaching for the crossmember to attacking me for being "in the know".

Bottom line, if it were necessary it'd be on my disco, instead of in my garage.
Such an arrogant statement man.... so just because Capt. Photo doesn't run it on his truck then I guess no one should... wow.

You win Im tapped out... I got work to do.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Nowhere in that post did I say that. The OP asked if he could remove it or not, I said that you can, and that I have. You came on like it as the most vital part of the 500lb chassis.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:04 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to start a fight! I am taking mine off. After extensive research, which includes calling one of my engineer friends at LRNA. He couldn't tell me specifics on why its installed but did conclude that the bolt size securing the part indicates a non essential structural component.
WTF??????? Ill keep you all posted. I am installing Toddco spacers this weekend. I have 2" OME springs now and am wanting a bit more clearance.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you came on here to ask the question and you "calling one of my engineer friends at LRNA." Why didn't you call you friends a LRNA first, seem that would have been the prudent thing to do.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:12 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hoping to get feedback from people with actual experience with this. You guys are the people that really know how things work because you live it.
I shouldn't have used the word friend about the person I talked to.When the conversation started getting more technical, I called a guy I used to work with from BMW who gave me someone to call at Land Rover. His answer as an engineer was what I was trying to avoid. Like I said,I wanted a conversation with folks who really deal with this stuff.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

While I've really enjoyed watching this thread progress and laughed along the way - the reality is - it's all relative.

Here's the facts:
  • Having any cross frame brace will aid in keeping the frame true, however small the change may be.
  • One persons version of "offroad" may be vastly different than other.

A person who drives on the road and trails that are grated by the state every year may never have need for it and can remove it. A person who's got lockers front and rear, adjustable arms and custom suspension may very well upgrade it or replace it completely for the additional stress they're going to put the chassis through.

There will never be a complete answer for it because everyones' use case will be different.

Just be sure not to remove it for the extra fuel savings.

Dave