Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

hahaha. poetic

Old 06-06-2014, 03:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by WNYErikDiscoII
Im like all the girls you know. I wouldn't touch your shaft.

You should try wheeling your truck.

And your rear links are in my truck.
The rest of the money is sent...send me my damn arms!

Old 06-06-2014, 08:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

getting back to the post....

just be sure to grease your prop every 3k. Don't get the doom-kauff award (I invented the award and bestowed it upon myself) by not greasing it or letting it go too long without grease like I did. I was freaking out when I heard this chirping noise and I couldn't pin-point the problem. Replaced serp belt and pulleys and still had the chirping noise. Long story short, button joint hidden in the cardon was bone dry. I was too lazy to remove my front prop and grease it up properly.

Need to give props to Zach (ZGphoto) for hand-holding my shaft.....wait.....that didn't sound right.......for helping me trouble shoot the problem and informing me what I had to do to fix things and get rid of the chirping sound.

Summary? Just keep the prop shaft greased up. My local mechanic charges me $20 to do this for me and he knocks it out in about 5 minutes. Beats the "h" "e" double toothpicks of jacking up my disco at home and using my creeper to look at my discos belly.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by gbob

Summary? Just keep the prop shaft greased up. My local mechanic charges me $20 to do this for me and he knocks it out in about 5 minutes. Beats the "h" "e" double toothpicks of jacking up my disco at home and using my creeper to look at my discos belly.
$20???

You can buy your own grease gun and enough grease for 2 years with $20

Old 06-07-2014, 06:56 AM
Rock Crawling

yea....time value perspective.....

the value of my time exceeds the value of $20 in this case. Just a different perspective than yours.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

You can have someone else grease your u-joints, but unless you stand under the truck with them and tell them that fresh grease needs to squeeze out of each cap, it won't be done properly and you'll still be replacing u-joints someday soon. Doing it every oil change is fine unless you go 5,000 between oil changes. Then you'll be 2,000 miles overdue for grease. It is that critical.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:39 AM
Camel Trophy

To be honest...I'd rather pay $20 then drop both driveshafts.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

But are they really greasing the centering ball. I'd have to watch

Old 06-07-2014, 10:55 AM
Camel Trophy

I prefer to watch...

Old 06-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Rock Crawling

My mechanic is good. Open garage and let's customers come in and see the work. I saw everything...he removed the front prop, pulled out the grease needle and saw everything squirt out, and he also put a little in the remaining zerk joints. Again, props to Zach for offering a teachable moment and offering it criticism free.

Fellas, the point here is not whether or not $20 dollars is worth it or not. Nor is the point of witnessing that your mechanic is honest and squirts the proper amount of grease. Nor is the point of crawling under the landy and inspecting the belly and anything else. Though all very valid arguments, let's not get bogged down with those issues. The point is that it has got to get done....it's a mecca....it's a religion....it's a knee jerk reaction....every oil change or 3k miles.....whatever your metric of measurement is, just grease up the bloody thing. This is the point. I didn't. I screwed up. Put extra money into things that probably really didn't need it (though I did end up needing a serp belt). I got the doom-kauff award and gladly take it on the chin for letting it go too long. So, the lesson learned is just grease it up and keep it greased up.

Let's offer this advice to the original poster.

Quick Reply: Front drive shaft