Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front drive shaft flew off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: front drive shaft flew off!!!

I don't know where you live, but if it's Amarillo, I'd get it towed there. If you don't have AAA (and most don't), either see if you can negotiate a rate with a tow company either where you are or in Amarillo. You might get a better rate that way. Some salvage yards will also do a tow for you too, rather than your typical tow company. Cheaper options are tobuy a truck where you are and tow it by Uhaul home or Amarillo (then sell the truck when you get home), or befriend someone locally and pay them to help you pull it to Amarillo. I've had a catastrophic failure before and what I did was buy a cheap truck locally, then get a tow bar and tow home, where I can study my options more carefully. It may be out of your scope, though.

If I had a 01, I'd probably focus on a rebuilt tranny rather than a used. As far as your driveshaft, there is an outfit called Driveshaft Superstore in Phoenix AZ (800-845-6326).I had them make a new one up for our Jeep Grand Cherokee this summer. It was cheaper than having the existing one re-yoked. I actually screwed up on the measurements (my bad) and the owner was very understanding and said send it back (I paid shipping) and he'd make me another one at no extra cost and charge me shipping out to my place. I thought that was more than fair!. Workmanship was first class, it was all new with constant velocity ...spicer joints and all. I think I paid $225 for it. Sorry about your misfortune. Good luck.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just file the claim already. I don't see what the issue is here. You don't even know if you actually ran over something or not. So file the claim, and let the insurance adjuster (whom has already been payed tons of cash courtesy of you) sort things out. If it is found that the problem was not caused by running something over... well who better to tell you? Some guy that you don't know and/or can't trust at some independent shop?

This decision seems pretty clear to me.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I hate to say this, but www.rovercannibal.com is in oklahoma city. people constantly get the wrong parts and they have a horrible reputation. That said, they aren't that far from you, respecively. Call Mike and see what he recommends. Sorry to say now that you really can't inspect the joints without dropping one end of the shaft.

Hope you get out ok, and if you need anything else, just shout.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Mudding

i called my insuranse agent yesterday and filed a claim. It turned out that the passanger side bumper that holds the fog light is busted also. So I am convinced that something flew up and my passanger said all along that she heard it up there first. I am in amarillo now and at a really good shop.
The shop that inspected the ujoints in san fran was top rated and i don't believe it would have gotten by them. Now I just need to make sure that the insurance will cover all the work becase the new shop only wants new land rover parts.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha...once it goes to insurance I'm sure they only are going to use new parts. Insurance claims are a repair shops best friend. Probably sucks for us in the end via premiums, but it's what they do[sm=smiley13.gif]

Old 02-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Mudding

yeah ... but one more claim? an accident is an accident. I am worried they are gonna want to total her! That is the main reason I wouldn't want a claim. I have been through so much with thisrover.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No no, shops in general love filing with insurance because they know they will get their money.

I would be disinclined to think a driveshaft/tranny issue would total a Disco. And even if they do, buy it back! Then you get a nice chunk of money, fixed Disco, and lower taxes .

Oh and that pesky 'Total Loss Claim' on the top of your registration...that ones not so fun..

But really, they won't total it! YOU WONT LET EM!

Old 02-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Camel Trophy

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

No no, shops in general love filing with insurance because they know they will get their money.

I would be disinclined to think a driveshaft/tranny issue would total a Disco. And even if they do, buy it back! Then you get a nice chunk of money, fixed Disco, and lower taxes .

Oh and that pesky 'Total Loss Claim' on the top of your registration...that ones not so fun..

But really, they won't total it! YOU WONT LET EM!
At an average of $7K when the front shaft goes, it isn't hard to total one..

Old 02-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Mudding

ok so worst case scenario they total it and I buy it back. I am in texas but from ny. What do i do about registering and license plates to drive it home after i fix it??

Old 02-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Camel Trophy

You have 30 days to register a car after you buy it. It will still have your tags on it, so you won't get pulled over. As long as you have insurance and the bill of sale from buying it back from the ins. company, you are golden...

Quick Reply: front drive shaft flew off!!!