Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front drive shaft flew off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: front drive shaft flew off!!!

OK BUT WILL TOTALLING IT EXPIRE THE INSURANCE? I MEAN WOULD I HAVE TO PUT IT BACK ON INSURANCE AGAIN?

Old 02-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would say yes, but I am not in insurance. Just ask them when you talk to them. Or you can call progressive or one of the one click companies...

Old 02-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Just wait and see what they say first. If its NADA is $9000 and its $7000 to fix it, they will fix it. Do you still owe on it? If so how much. If you owe $5000 they might total it. If its paid for then they will fix it.
They will take the cheapest way out. But remember that YOU PAY THEM. So they work for you.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Mudding

cool its all paid for

Old 02-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well here in NC, total loss is when the repairs sum up to 75% of the value of the vehicle, not the NADA value. And if it is $9000, that puts you $250 dollars too expensive for the repair. As for buying it back, yes they will still insure it, but your Disco will be a Total Loss Claim, and is only worth the scrap value, or something like $2000. The 2000 Ford Explorer I totaled is still worth $1975 now after we bought it back for $2250.

Basically you still are insured, still pay for it, but you only are insuring a $2000 vehicle. The explorer worked out for me because I bought it back for 2k, fixed it for 5k, and got a check for 8k. Totalled a car and got 1k bucks...[8D]

Edit to clarify: Insurance not only insures the vehicle, but the driver as well, so even if you bought it back and drove home, you're covered with the same liabilities/comprehensive coverage you had before. Also this is all hypothetical remember. If it's not totalled, this is a moot. mut. moote. pointless.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Drifting
Default Disco Front Propshaft Forum?

Is it just me or does anyone else see a need for an entirely seperate thread or forum just to deal with the ill fated Discovery II driveshaft? I am amazed that this hasn't turned into a class action suite against LR. "Front Driveshaft Bitchslapped the Transmission". I have seen postings on another forum discussing the possibiltiy of installing the Dodge Durango front shaft as a direct replacement for the Disco. Reportedly this is plug-n-play with a heavier shaft/cardon and Spicer greasable U joints. Anyone here care to offer their opinion on the subject?

I am considering the replacement idea verses the removal, rebuilding and reinstall fix. Next week I will inquire about the front hubs replacement issue. Cheers

This forum should be required reading for all future Discovery owners. I have been lurking since January 24 and this is my first post. Thanks and Be Safe, Mark V.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: Disco Front Propshaft Forum?

Just fix it with what is known to work. Whatever you choose, swap the replacement d/s yourself. I did it last weekend and only had four bolts and eight nuts to remove. It's much faster if you have a second person to engage N so the drive shaft can rotate to access the other bolts.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:17 AM
kaz
Overlanding

ORIGINAL: ChiefII
..This forum should be required reading for all future Discovery owners... my first post. Thanks and Be Safe, Mark V.
yes, by all means, I'm hopeing to be one soon and all the action/help here is very encouraging.
And this thread reads like a novella!

Old 05-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Mudding

My two cents...this same thing happened to my DII. Trashed the transmission. If you buy a DII...have your driveshaft rebuilt ASAP. My front driveshaft broke within two weeks of owning the truck. My solution was to find a mechanic I trust and manage the logistics myself...finding a used transmission, taking the driveshaft to be rebuilt, having the trustworthy mechanic put it all together. All told I think it ended up being about $1500 USD.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of this makes me feel lucky mine didn't blow up until they were loading it on the flat bed! I got out of it for only $400.

Quick Reply: front drive shaft flew off!!!