Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front drive shaft flew off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Disco Front Propshaft Forum?

After owning my DII for only 3 months now all I can say is WOW! First of all best of luck to the thread starter and guy stuck in Amarillo (sounds like a bad country song) and hope all turns out well for you in the end, and sorry you had to endure a few posts about you being the one causing insurance premiums to rise (giveme a freakin break) but I've been lurking here for the past three months myself and I've read about the front drive shaft issue and told myself it was something for me to get done in the future - well the future is here and this post has truely woke me up.

Although this is located in various other posts can we start listing the aftermarket solutions fro driveshafts and u-joints right now? Example:

1. Tom Woods
2. ?
3. ?

Old 05-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used/new Dodge Durango drive shaft?

Old 05-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I have heard that the Durango driveshaft doesnt fit. But the problem is that the grease gets baked by the exhaust, so any driveshaft that goes in needs a greasable double cardon joint.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Mudding

Option #2 - Bring your current driveshaft to an experienced machine shop that makes their living rebuilding driveshafts...they may know what you are after before you tell them. Your current driveshaft is fine...just needs to be rebuilt and grease zerts put in...ASAP.

Plus its green...recycling the old...no energy expended building a new one...

Old 05-08-2008, 07:02 AM
Mudding

Insurance premiums do not go up because someone makes a claim. Insurance premiums go up for everyone because of insurance fraud as suggested in the beginning of this thread.

When you take out a policy your rate is determined based on several risk factors and your premium reflects you and your vehicle's risk. Potential claims are estimated and taken into account when your premiums are factored. So if you have a claim the insurance company is not terrified since they have already anticipated it. One of the biggest factors for rate increases over the past decade are related to insurance fraud.

Insurance is there when you need so use it, but don't abuse it. If you were to be caught falsifying a claim it could get very ugly very quickly.

SpeedAgent

Old 05-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Drifting

For those of you that have measured the front DS for a replacement, I measured it at 24" 1/8 in order to buy one from Tom Woods ($301.65 shipped to the door front DS with allnew u-joints) but he noted most DII owners had called in ordersat 24"- can someone chime in with what there measurement was? Thanks, I need to get this ordered and installed so I can sleep at night again!