Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Drive Shaft Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:30 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Drive Shaft Questions!

Hello guys. I have been doing some reading up on the Discovery Front Drive Shaft and the obvious need to install grease-able fittings if they are not present. The issue brings about several questions for me and I am wondering if feedback could be supplied?

- Were grease-able fittings present on the front driveshaft as "stock" components for any year Discovery? I have a 2004 HSE with 81K and I plan to take a gander under there this evening for evidence of the fittings. It would be great to know ahead of time though if the so called best year of the Discovery (2004) already has them (-Wishful thinking)!

- This is related to the above, if front driveshaft grease fittings aren't stock components for any year Discovery, why the heck aren't they recalled and replaced by LR? It appears that the modification is relatively inexpensive and easy to perform. You would think that would be done given the $30-40K original price tag? Has anyone ever asked this of Landrover and got an honest reply?

- Last question, if I need to install grease-able fittings on the driveshaft can someone point me in the right direction as far as ordering them? I have suppliers such as VIP, Advance, and Autozone in my immediate area (NH) so I am wondering what I would ask them for? Based on past experience the sales rep's at such places aren't terribly knowledgeable about Landrovers, so having exacting detail would certainly make it beneficial!

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Front Drive Shaft Questions!

First you need to crawl under your truck and see what you have, it is always good to have a first hand look at things.
Second, if you were mechanical enough, I would tell you how to remove the drive shaft and take it to your local tranny shop, they can order the proper u-joints and install them for around $150.
Rover just last year started putting grease fittings only on the 04 replacement drive shaft which you could buy for around $600 plus. All being said, get it done before they fail causing you a $7000 repair bill.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:54 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Front Drive Shaft Questions!

A class action on this wouldn't be out of bounds, and I'm usually against legal action.