Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end squeal

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front end squeal

I get a high pitch squeal like a belt is slipping--but I don't think it is.
I have good belt tension--I even tried spraying on some belt dressing--but this belt is new. I know I have the right belt because it was the same size as the old one I took out when I changed my alternator.
The squeal is not constant and only seems to come when it is really cold outside.
It especially seems to come on after a turn--but often will happen when starting up from a start as well.
If i punch the throttle it will stop--or if i let of the gas real quick it will stop.
It does not happen every time I drive.
I have recently replaced all the fluid in my PAS--I never was leaking and still have lost no fluid there.
What do I check next?

Old 02-10-2010, 01:06 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had something very similar happen after I put on a new belt. To be honest, I never really figured out what it was. I took off the belt, put it back on, started up the truck and the squeal never came back. I did see a very small amount of deposit on one of the idler pulleys that I cleaned off, but I really can't imagine it was the source of my squeal. Worth a shot...

Old 02-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Something is on one of your pulleys. Take the belt off and get it out of the way. Carefully spray brake cleaner on all of your pulleys, taking care to not get it into the bearings or onto any seals. You may have dropped a little fluid onto your belt/pulley when you changed your fluid. It doesn't take much, and will make it chirp when it is cold. Belt dressing will make it worse, if anything. Armor all will cure it for a while, but taking everything off and cleaning is the only permenant solution.

Ask me how I know all of this...

Old 02-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, it could be one of the idler pulleys as well. I replaced mine when I changed my belt and tensioner. One of the pulleys had bad bearings and was the source of my sequel.

Pull the belt off and rotate the pulleys, maybe even pull them of and rotate in your hand, you can tell if they are bad.

Good Luck-

Old 02-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Rock Crawling

OK! Took the belt off and cleaned all of the pulleys and drive surfaces. There was quite a bit of gunk in the grooves of some of the pulleys. I brushed them down with mineral spirits and then flossed with a small screwdriver. Some of the old belt rubber and general mung was all over those. Some were REALLY bad. So I hope that fixes it.
NOW my check engine light is on. I started it without the belt to listen--and it was silent. So, I hope that I can pull the codes and reset it. I plan on swinging by autozone today so we will see!

Old 02-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Rock Crawling

Cleared the codes--stayed off good to go. I pulled my MAF to get at the PAS pulley better--It was off when I started it, so it threw the code. Cleared them and it is running good now--no noise.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad that worked. Mine really bugged me. I would pull up to a light and get chirp chirp! annoying..

Old 02-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bikingteacher
Cleared the codes--stayed off good to go. I pulled my MAF to get at the PAS pulley better--It was off when I started it, so it threw the code. Cleared them and it is running good now--no noise.
GREAT to hear!