Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front main seal...again

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 09:43 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Front main seal...again

A year ago I replaced the front seal. The harmonic balancer had small grooves warn by the old seal. I put the balancer in my lathe and polished the mating surface, replaced the seal and put it back together. The leak is back and I pulled it apart yesterday. There are sleeves made that slip over the old seal surface and provide a new polished stainless steel surface for the new seal to ride on. Speedi Sleeve is one made by SKF. I am doing the research now to find the correct one. If anyone has fought this battle and can help with advice, please let me know. I will post what I find to help others with the same issue. Thanks.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by mark d
A year ago I replaced the front seal. The harmonic balancer had small grooves warn by the old seal. I put the balancer in my lathe and polished the mating surface, replaced the seal and put it back together. The leak is back and I pulled it apart yesterday. There are sleeves made that slip over the old seal surface and provide a new polished stainless steel surface for the new seal to ride on. Speedi Sleeve is one made by SKF. I am doing the research now to find the correct one. If anyone has fought this battle and can help with advice, please let me know. I will post what I find to help others with the same issue. Thanks.
Mark I haven't had a grooved surface but I did look into speedi sleeves when I had a persistent leak. Before I settled on which one to get, though, I found that my crank pulley was vibrating. I was just standing next to the truck while it idled with the fan off and noticed it. I found a tiny bit of the damper rubber had pressed out, but it was inducing a huge wobble. I had a spare so I swapped them and it fixed the leak.

NOT saying that's your problem but it is free to check.

Here's what mine looked like.

Okay I can't find the photo. But the rubber was only slightly pressed out on the back.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:58 AM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts
The following 3 users liked this post by OverRover:
CBRacerX (11-07-2016), DiscoBuckeye (06-20-2024), Joemamma1954 (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 09:56 PM
Mudding

Thanks Over Rover, that is the same SKF part number and came up with. My local industrial house had it in stock. I installed the new seal (FelPro from NAPA) and pressed the Speedi Sleeve on with my press. Charlie V, I share your ticking frustration. I am installing a spare rocker assembly now. This is after new lifters and push rods. Yes, it is embarrassing. I will let you know what happen

Old 05-02-2016, 10:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by mark d
Thanks Over Rover, that is the same SKF part number and came up with. My local industrial house had it in stock. I installed the new seal (FelPro from NAPA) and pressed the Speedi Sleeve on with my press. Charlie V, I share your ticking frustration. I am installing a spare rocker assembly now. This is after new lifters and push rods. Yes, it is embarrassing. I will let you know what happen

Please do. I've got rockers aplenty. The ticking is maddening. Like a countdown on a bomb.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:38 AM
Mudding
Default all back together

It went back together yesterday without too much pain. New push rods, new lifters, used rocker assembly and it still ticks. I am starting to think my oil pressure is dropping down at idle. May be time to look at a top hat.