Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front main seal leaking coolant... I think

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Front main seal leaking coolant... I think

Was under the truck for a couple hours the other day in pursuit of my coolant leak....spent most of that time wiping the bottom side of the oil pan and as much as I could reach up the sides.
The pics are from about an hours worth of driving earlier today. I see the general area where the Dexcool (I will replace with Peak when the work gets done) is running onto the oil pan, but not 100% sure I am calling it a front seal leak?
A few pics... Feel my pain? Not sure if any of them are showing anything that would give a definite answer on what's leaking but appreciate you looking. No chance a head gasket could be leaking from the front drivers side corner of the engine....that's where I am guessing the cooling is running down from.
I think the third pic shows the coolant running back towards the first exhaust manifold bolt.
Input much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Front main seal leaking coolant... I think-img_4405.jpg   Front main seal leaking coolant... I think-img_4406.jpg   Front main seal leaking coolant... I think-img_4407.jpg   Front main seal leaking coolant... I think-img_4408.jpg  
Old 03-30-2012, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

While coolant can leak from the heads, it can also leak around the front cover gasket and the water pump gasket.. See Oil Pump Gear Kit W/Gaskets - Land Rover kits from Atlantic British, I am not suggesting you have to change oil pump, but this is a pix of cover gasket and WP gasket.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Rock Crawling

Should of maybe mentioned it is a 2001 SE with 115,000 miles. Assume everything that is potential issue is original.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It very well could be the FRONT COVER. can you get a coolant pressure test done... that is how I found my front cover leak... noticed that I was loosing pressure after 10 minutes. crawled under the truck to find the drivers side side of the front cover leaking..
I would strongly recommend doing a pressure test. before you start buying and replacing parts.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try using some brake cleaner to break some of that oil up then take it to the car wash and clean it up as much as possible, you should get a better idea where the leak is coming from. I wouldn't rule out a bad water pump...

Old 03-31-2012, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Will agree they can leak coolant, mine did and was wobbling. Inside, the wobble and tight spacing = eat aluminum. Can leak at nose or $2 gasket, or the cover gasket. Biggest PITA is the fan clutch bolt, put long handle wrench on, pull up hard on serpantine belt, and slap wrench with a hammer toward the left when facing the engine.

Attached Thumbnails Front main seal leaking coolant... I think-p1030594.jpg   Front main seal leaking coolant... I think-p1030595.jpg   Front main seal leaking coolant... I think-p1030596.jpg  
Old 04-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Quick update

No person should see what I think I saw today. Son of a.....
I cleaned the heck out of the front end, down to the oil pan. I could not get the pressure tester today, but figured I would go under the truck with it running and have a look.
Obvious small "pulsing" stream of very clean coolant a couple mils wide running down from the drivers side forward head area.
The yellow line represents where the coolant was running and the second pic shows the actual run itself.
I assume I will be told to get the pressure tester and remove the fan and anything else to see for sure?
Is there a chance...any chance that it is not the head gasket?. Any other issues with leaks above timing chain cover? In other words, when I get the tester, what should I be keeping my eye on, besides the front of that head?
All you senior guys on here are awesome. Thanks in advance. Brett

Attached Thumbnails Front main seal leaking coolant... I think-img_4420.jpg   Front main seal leaking coolant... I think-img_4421.jpg  
Old 04-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Perhaps valley pan gasket? Each corner is a water passage.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
valley 1.pdf (745.6 KB, 204 views)
File Type: pdf
valley 2.pdf (613.3 KB, 179 views)
Old 04-02-2012, 06:31 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if it is leaking along the line you have drawn it apears to be the intake/valley gasket.
But do not rule out the timing cover gasket, when mine let go it was shooting water on to the intake also. I had to remove a few things like the alt. and ac compressor to find it. It was a pin hole under the ac compressor that was spraying up on the bottom of the compressor and leaking back on the intake. Best to set time aside and preasure test the system wiggling and tighten every connection on your way.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same leak when I first got the truck, and it turned out to be the small coolant tube in that area that goes to/from the throttle body heater. Look at the cooling diagram of RAVE, and it is the two in/out hoses on the bottom of where the plastic intake hose meets the intake. There was a leak there, and a leak in the hose on top of the engine where the outbound flow to the throttle body heater goes. The return goes back to the tank.

Quick Reply: Front main seal leaking coolant... I think