Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front passenger door stuck in locked position, won't open

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 01:25 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front passenger door stuck in locked position, won't open

Hi everyone,

I have a 1999 Land Rover Discovery II and the front passenger door is stuck in the locked position and won't open. After reading about it, and asking around at a few land rover dealerships I've come to the conclusion the actuator has gone out and I was unlucky enough that it happened when the door was closed and locked. I plan to get it fixed eventually, but in the meantime I just want to get the door open. Any suggestions for a fail safe or a way to force the door to open? I am pretty sure the actuator is gone out because when I try and initiate the locks, I don't hear any noise in the door like the motor is trying to unlock.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks, Jon

1999 Land Rover Discovery II
120k miles

Last edited by jwage; 07-14-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:47 PM
4wd Low

A side question, maybe if I can get the door panel off I can manually force the lock open. Is it possible to get the door panel off while the door is closed without breaking anything? I can actually hear something moving when I trigger the locks. It sounds like something is stuck and the motor isn't strong enough to push past it.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like this guy managed to get his driver side door open under similar circumstances...

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=21319

Old 07-14-2010, 02:46 PM
4wd Low

Ya I found that thread but I can only see down in to the door through the top between the door and the panel. So I can get my arm down there but I don't know what to feel for and I can't see anything.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:04 PM
4wd Low

I think the problem is that the motor went out when the super lock was on so now it is stuck. Someone told me I have to chisel the latch out to get it open and replace the latch. roughly $400 from a land rover repair shop

Old 07-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jwage
I think the problem is that the motor went out when the super lock was on so now it is stuck. Someone told me I have to chisel the latch out to get it open and replace the latch. roughly $400 from a land rover repair shop
I have no idea why in the hell Rover installed super lock on those trucks, break a damn window and steal anything you want, it aint hard.
A $.98 spark plug thrown at a window will break it.
And they dont ask for your ID why buying spark plugs.

If the super lock is engaged you will need to disengage it buy unlocking the truck with the key.
If you can get in the truck then the super lock is not engaged, in that case pull up on the lock while someone else turns the key and opens the door.

Also keep in mind that is your battery goes dead while super lock is engaged you cant open the doors.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:08 AM
4wd Low

Hi, so super lock is not engaged then. When I use the remote and press unlock twice or open the key, super lock does seem to disengage on all the doors. The front passenger door, however remains locked. I'll need to test your idea of "pull up on the lock while someone else turns the key and opens the door". I have not tried this yet. I thought pulling up on the lock in the door doesn't do anything? You can only lock it by pushing down, right?

Old 07-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Pulling up on the lack unlocks the door.
If your power door lock actuator is bad then it will not unlock the door and you will need to do this manually.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:44 AM
1st Gear

I am currently having the same issue with my Disco. I found that I am able to pull the inside door handle though to unlock the door because it will not open any other way. Is this also a problem with the actuator or would this be something different? Thanks!

Old 07-16-2010, 10:26 AM
4wd Low

As far as I understand, pulling up on the lock will not unlock the door. You can only lock the door by pushing down. None of my doors will unlock by pulling up on the lock. My passenger door is still stuck and I can't figure out a way to manually unlatch the door.

Quick Reply: Front passenger door stuck in locked position, won't open