Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front prop shaft replacement clarification

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 06:11 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Front prop shaft replacement clarification

Ok, so I've read and read and read on this, ordered a new front shaft from Lucky 8 and got it today. But, before I swap it out, I have one last question.

I was told on this forum if I don't have 4 zerks to grease, replace the shaft. Well, I dug out the papers last night and found the shaft was rebuilt in 2010 with all new greaseable u-joints. The only zerk I don't have is the one on the collar shaft next to the rubber boot. I've greased all three and seen all three. But the reading I did kept saying if it's original (the shaft, not the u joints) replace it. 3 zerks not 4, replace it.

So, I thought, gotta get a new shaft because that's where it fails, at the rubber boot with no zerk. Then I read there's a blank screw there (which I saw) and you remove the screw, grease the shaft and put the screw back.

If I had 3 greaseable ujoints all along, just no zerk on the shaft collar, did I need the new shaft?

This is the only zerk my shaft is missing: http://www.lucky8llc.com/Products.as...BProduct%5D/2/

Last edited by jamieb; 02-11-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:31 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

If you had a stock drive shaft it would not have any greasable ujounts.

If you have greasable u-joints then it was already repaired or replaced.

You probably didn't have to replace it.

The one you are missing is often replaced with a plug after servicing because that one can easily damaged

Originally Posted by jamieb
Ok, so I've read and read and read on this, ordered a new front shaft from Lucky 8 and got it today. But, before I swap it out, I have one last question.

I was told on this forum if I don't have 4 zerks to grease, replace the shaft. Well, I dug out the papers last night and found the shaft was rebuilt in 2010 with all new greaseable u-joints. The only zerk I don't have is the one on the collar shaft next to the rubber boot. I've greased all three and seen all three. But the reading I did kept saying if it's original, replace it. 3 zerks, replace it.

So, I thought, gotta get a new shaft because that's where it fails, at the rubber boot with no zerk. Then I read there's a blank screw there (which I saw) and you remove the screw, grease the shaft and put the screw back.

If I had 3 greaseable ujoints all along, just no zerk on the shaft collar, did I need the new shaft?

This is the only zerk my shaft is missing: Lucky8 Llc. - Take the road less traveled...

Last edited by drowssap; 02-12-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:50 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by drowssap
If you had a stock drive shaft it would not have any greasable ujounts. If you have greasable u-joints then it was already repaired or replaced. You probably didn't have to replace it.
The one you are missing is often replaced with a plug after servicing because that one can easily damaged
Ok thanks. I'll still put the new one on. The rebuild showed O'Reilly receipts for u joints and last year one joint rusted and failed so we replaced it.

I was just focusing so much on the shaft itself. Not the U joints. I kept seeing the picture of the new shaft with that collar nipple and convinced myself that was the missing piece I did not have. Oh well. Live and learn.

Last edited by jamieb; 02-11-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

This is the only zerk my shaft is missing
It's often plugged, removal of plug and temporary fitting of zerk required to grease sliding portion of shaft. Most D2s came from factory with grease fitting on fwd u-joint of shaft but not installed in two within hookes joint.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:09 PM
Winching

Looks like I now have a spare shaft with 3 greaseable u-joints or one to sell soon. :-)

Last edited by jamieb; 02-11-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

You can have an OEM shaft rebuilt with new u-joints along with the center ball, and as long as you grease it during routine maintenance you'd be fine. People basically just replace the entire shaft because by the time you have it rebuilt/balanced at a shop you could have just bought the shaft from lucky8.

My 02 Kalahari has an OEM LR front shaft (LR sticker was still on it) and it has two zerk fittings. One for the front u-joint, and for the slip yoke.

The part that will fail on any front shaft on the D2 is the center ball, or the u-joints if you DO NOT grease them regularly. Doesn't matter if it's OEM, or a lucky8 shaft.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:40 PM
Winching

I'm going to chalk this up to peace of mind swap out. They were not greased regularly.

Did someone say they use anti-seize on the flange plates? Any tips on where to use anti-seize when installing?

Old 02-11-2016, 10:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Looks like I now have a spare shaft with 3 greaseable u-joints or one to sell soon. :-)
You may want to keep as a spare, if/when you have time, garage/tools, get new u-joints/spicer ball and rebuild the shaft yourself. Swap out shafts. When it works well you'll have learned a new mech skill.

If it's in your way and want gone shoot me a PM. Mine's due for an overhaul and wouldn't mind having yours to run for a few days while doing it.

Did someone say they use anti-seize on the flange plates? Any tips on where to use anti-seize when installing?
Read that a couple of days ago. Never had issues with drive flanges in past but will use the anti-seize on D2 if dissimilar metals involved. Have on hand and used for other applications in the past. Probably not an issue unless salt used on your roads. If stuck a few blows with appropriate sized dead-blow hammer should free them.
Amazon.com: Permatex 80078 Anti-Seize Lubricant with Brush Top Bottle, 8 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Permatex 80078 Anti-Seize Lubricant with Brush Top Bottle, 8 oz.: Automotive

Old 02-12-2016, 01:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Plugging the shaft zerk hole instead of leaving the zerk in is actually the technically correct thing to do. Leaving the zerk in could affect the balance of the shaft, although many people do leave it and have no problems.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm going to chalk this up to peace of mind swap out. They were not greased regularly.

Use anti-seize on the front differential flange and the transfer box flange. You could also use lithium grease but it won't last as long. This is so that the shaft doesn't rust-weld itself to the transfer box or differential.

Quick Reply: Front prop shaft replacement clarification