Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front right and rear left brakes lock up

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 10:35 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front right and rear left brakes lock up

Hey guys, recently doing errands, came out, started driving away and it felt like I was driving with the e-brake on. After accelerating, it would come to a stop. No e-brake on. Drove it for about a mile, when I noticed some smoking coming out of the front right (passenger) brake, pulled over and had it towed home as I didn't want to start a brake fire. I had recently changed my pads an rotors but my right caliper had some issues. Lucky enough was able to save it then for time being until I was able to buy new calipers Wednesday. Now I just put new calipers on it, changed the brakes line and couldn't get any fluid to bleed brakes into the front right and rear left tire. Did some online researching, thought it might be the shuttle valve switch (three amigos were on)but from contacting British Atlantic, thought it might be the modulator. Long story short, nope, probably not just that. So I found this company in MA that rebuilds the abs modulator and pump for $525 with a lifetime warranty (versus $2100 via BA). Like this one here: New Wabco ABS Modulator Land Rover Discovery 99 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 | eBay

So, we got the part, installed it and still having trouble getting fluid to the calipers (FR,RL) any of you folks run into this problem/here of this before? Any advice? Thanks.

-brian

Old 02-20-2015, 10:10 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It sounds like your part is a blockage in the brake line, like a crimp or a clog. Did you try flushing the lines?

Old 02-21-2015, 07:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Are your three Amigos on?

Did you clean the abs sensors recently?

It sounds like a traction control issue to me.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:36 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

May I suggest you work through the RAVE manual brake section. The ABS system works diagonally FR + RL and FL + RR called circuits A & B. Also make sure the pistons in the calipers are free to retract otherwise they will lock on. Bleeding the ABS module through from the master cylinder is not as simple as many think and that is only the primary circuits this is followed by the secondary circuits. To bleed the primary circuits you need to activate the shuttle valves electronically. There are other methods of bleeding the brake primary circuit but I wouldn't recommend and there is no certainty they are bled and free of air in the ABS modulator.

The following users liked this post:
thegoat1 (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 03:27 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I had my power steering pump replace by a mechanic about a month ago. From what I can gather, they must have topped of the brake fluid with power steering fluid, thus it messed up my brake master cylinder, locking the closest valve. The old fluid has an 'oil and vinegar' look to it, which I know that would never happen if they put in brake fluid. Left a nice Yelp review for that jackass. NO amigos! happy happy joy joy :-) Thanks again.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by thegoat1
Hey guys, thanks for the input. I had my power steering pump replace by a mechanic about a month ago. From what I can gather, they must have topped of the brake fluid with power steering fluid, thus it messed up my brake master cylinder, locking the closest valve. The old fluid has an 'oil and vinegar' look to it, which I know that would never happen if they put in brake fluid. Left a nice Yelp review for that jackass. NO amigos! happy happy joy joy :-) Thanks again.
At least you know where NOT to take the truck next time around

Old 02-23-2015, 12:21 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

For future reference and for those searching, the master cylinder circuits (as another has mentioned) operate in diagonal front-rear fashion.

If you ever experience an issue with those two brakes specifically, it's on that entire circuit. Locking up would imply master cylinder issue, no brakes would mean any line on that circuit is broken (happened to me personally, and the car will yank wheel to one direction under braking) - the pressure really just passes through the ABS modulator in normal operation so I wouldn't let anything ABS related try to complicate your diagnostics unless you specifically have something ABS related like modulator activation, codes, etc.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:04 PM

ABS Anti-Lock Braking on Land Rovers

Land Rover Workshop Manuals > Discovery II > BRAKES > DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION > Description

These diagrams may help you understand what EstorilM and myself are getting at. It's not as complicated in truth as is recognised but it is more complex than the average braking system. If you have access to the RAVE manual it's all in there under the Braking section.