Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front sunroof leak.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 12:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Front sunroof leak.

I have been going crazy about this for over 2 months was hoping someone could help. I have a 2000 discoII I bought knew and keep in mint shape. Was getting water in the front headliner dripping from the light fixture. I have had the whole headliner ripped out and the sunroof. Fixed all the drain lines and had the sunroof reinstalled. Goes through carwash no leak. If its parked with either side facing slightly downhill like drivers or passenger no leaking. But if parked flat or with front windshield downhill then I will get a leak and dripping inside. I have rechecked and drain lines are attached. Im at a loss. Not to mention costing a fortune to have the headliner taken out and reinstalled after being redone. Was wondering if anybody has any ideas the help would be greatly apprcted. I would just keep the thing inside but with the roof rack cannot get it into the garage anymore. Thanks again Joe.

Old 12-30-2019, 01:22 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Is the sunroof sealed to the roof completely and correctly?
Are the any holes in the drip rails?
Only way to be positive would be to remove the headliner and hose the roof down until you find the leak.

Old 12-30-2019, 03:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 595 Likes on 338 Posts

I had a similar problem I just resolved this weekend. I had to disassemble the rear sun roof. I had multiple problems.
  1. seal between glass and sunroof was dry rotted
  2. drain was leaking
  3. the seal that holds the sunroof frame to the body was dry rotted (see picture)
I pulled the whole thing apart and resealed it.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

These are very leak prone. Most sunroof cars have 4 drains, one in each corner. I am doing that the next time I have a headliner out. That said, the design intent is for the water caught by the pan to drain out of the front tubes, if you park it uphill the rear of the pan fills up until it overflows. Always park facing slightly downhill or level (the pan is tilted forward).

I drove around for weeks without a headliner to determine all the leak points. Here they are:

1. The drain tube plastic pans will leak at the seal to the metal section- remove the entire pan and seal from the inside.
2. The drain tube plastic pans are open on the top - when driving with rapid left right tilting action the water can splash out the top of the pan
3. The is a potential leak point at the plastic shade latch clips at the front - small gap there - seal with silicone.
4. There are 4 holes that allow access to the screws securing the glass to the frame - I buy small plugs and put them in the holes to make sure a full pan does not splash out of those points and drip in to the headliner.
5. I paint the entire top side of the headliner board with a heavy application of thick oil base paint so it is completely waterproof, and seal the edge of the fabric to the board so the fabric cannot absorb any water that makes it past the pan.
6. Parked slightly tilted to one side or the other, the water pools near the sunroof motor and then leaks out when driving through gaps there.

Photo showing factory pan gaps around motor - view from the top

I cover the gap with duct tape

Then put silicone over the tape completely sealing the gap and tape on all sides.

The following 2 users liked this post by Extinct:
JUKE179r (12-31-2019), Sixpack577 (12-30-2019)
Old 12-31-2019, 07:52 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow I cannot thank everyone enough for all the help. I guess I should of asked these questions before having everything ripped apart and put back in. Who knew so many area that cause water to get in. I have tried the silicone at the top of the from pillars as was recommended. Im hopping with replacing the drain hoses and resealing all of the drain panI might have it covered. Like I mentioned it only seems to leak when parked with the front facing downhill or when parked almost perfectly flat. I really like the idea of sealing the back of the headliner. Never thought of that. Next time I have it taken out Ill have that done as well. Crazy because no leaking from rear sunroof and that's the one I always used not much with using the front. I guess if it becomes just unfixable Ill just seal the whole thing up with silicone......Thank you again everyone. Joe

The following users liked this post:
cvhyatt (12-31-2019)