Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front suspension issue ~ 90k

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 09:23 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front suspension issue ~ 90k

Daily driver well maintained with 90k never taken off road starting to get a little steering wheel shimmy under certain braking and plenty of steering wheel responses on taking a seemingly minor hit from the crap roads in north jersey. Just wondering if there are common hits on consumables up there at this mileage? Track Rod Assembly, Drag link assembly, Damper, play in the steering or all of the above perhaps? Street ride is poor when I drive over a pebble and not confidence inspiring. Thanks

Old 07-02-2014, 09:34 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Factory springs and shocks usually wear out at about your mileage and your description fits this.

Address this first and go from there.

Hint 1: OEM replacement springs will give a factory like ride. Aftermarket heavy duty lift springs will give a "heavy duty" ride.

Hint 2: Don't put new shocks on worn springs. It will seem nice for a while but the new shocks will take a beating and fail prematurely.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

new steering damper is needed. prolly more, as dave said; shocks and springs are tired.
have a look at your tie rod ends (I think rover calls them ball joints) on your track and drag. how are the boots, on them? with some type of pry bar (pickle preferred) is there a lot of slop in those joints? if so, it is usually more economically viable to purchase a hd set of steering rods than to fix up the factory ones. (fixed end on factory set)

Last edited by dusty1; 07-02-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Drifting

Thanks guys, looking at RAVE the spring / shock job does looks like a few hours work on my back. I think I will go with the OEM standard springs not sure on shocks however for standard road use would like to try something better than stock if possible. When I'm under there I will get a feel for the ball joints you mention.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:55 AM
Drifting

My understanding is that if you are only driving this thing on city streets you can take the steer damper out and make a hood ornament out of it. it's really only for wheeling to keep your steering wheel from spinning if you hit a big rock potentially breaking your thumbs.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

a shot damper will allow you to feel force in the form of jerking and sometimes vibration/shimmy on road. it helps to mask harsh effects of any type road condition and it even mask some other worn out parts (ball joints). off road = the thumb thing.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:32 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
new steering damper is needed. prolly more, as dave said; shocks and springs are tired.
have a look at your tie rod ends (I think rover calls them ball joints) on your track and drag. how are the boots, on them? with some type of pry bar (pickle preferred) is there a lot of slop in those joints? if so, it is usually more economically viable to purchase a hd set of steering rods than to fix up the factory ones. (fixed end on factory set)
x1. Had a vibe or shimmer in the steering. Checked out to be drag link ball joint worn. Fitted new drag link and track control link together with a TF steering damper - problem solved.

To check out the steering ball joints get someone in the driving seat without the engine running but with the key in position 2 and then they oscillate the steering wheel back and forth a couple of inches each way whilst you get underneath the front and hold the steering joints (6 in total) one at a time and it soon becomes apparent if one is worn. Also put a mechanics stethoscope on each ball joint and you can clearly hear it click or clonk when the steering wheel is moved to and fro.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:48 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm battling the EXACT same issue. So far I've replaced tires, HD springs, HD steering rods, and damper with no change.....hope it's not the case for you.

I've heard of some people tightening the steering box with the bolt on top??? Anyone with experience know if that could be another possible fix?

Old 07-02-2014, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by powderhound
My understanding is that if you are only driving this thing on city streets you can take the steer damper out and make a hood ornament out of it. it's really only for wheeling to keep your steering wheel from spinning if you hit a big rock potentially breaking your thumbs.
Hmmm, I wouldn't recommend it. If the road is slightly rutted from continuous truck use or potholed it's essential. Also driving on highways at speed it reduces the effects of surface defects and reduces wandering. If you are towing heavy loads it's essential to stop wandering and snatching in surface changes and works for you in high cross winds. Of course if you are using the truck as a 'shopping trolley' 5 miles across town and back everyday at 30mph it probably doesn't really come into play.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Madlands
I'm battling the EXACT same issue. So far I've replaced tires, HD springs, HD steering rods, and damper with no change.....hope it's not the case for you.

I've heard of some people tightening the steering box with the bolt on top??? Anyone with experience know if that could be another possible fix?
It's an easy job to do but a PITA to access. This might help Disco Steering Box

Don't overtighten the screw but ensure it's loose first, tighten it until you feel slight resistance then back it off 1/8 of a turn and tighten the locknut ensuring you don't tighten the screw at the same time. Test drive for steering feel. Job done.