Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Suspension/Steering Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010 | 07:48 AM
|
Drifting
Default Front Suspension/Steering Questions

I have had an '01 Disco II for about 3 months now, and thanks to this forum I have learned a lot of information. I am trying to go through an get the maintenance up to date, don't know the history. The other morning though, on my way to work the front end (right side) sorted of bounced, like the wheel was off center. I thought maybe the front drive shaft (I have already purchsed the u-joints, and will install soon), but it seemed ok. I noticed that the ACE fluid was just a little low, didn't know if that would cause the ACE system to act this way. It doesn't act that way all the time, just seems to be in the morning and only after driving for a couple miles and then it only last for a few hundred yards. I also noticed that there is a little play in the bushing on the front torsion bar, could this be the culprit? Any suggestions on what to check would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Daryl

Old 10-05-2010 | 08:27 AM
Mudding

def replace that bushing but you are def due for a new steering dampner which is the shock that is connected to the front suspension.also check the tire pressure the fronts should be at 28psi if it is higher it can cause the truck to bounce around a bit

Old 10-05-2010 | 09:11 AM
Administrator

Start with the basics, drop your front drive shaft, engage the CDL, allowing you to drive on the rear shaft only, then see what happens.
Sounds like you are way past do on a major and a steering stabilizer.
If you have any questions, get back to me.

Old 10-05-2010 | 09:39 AM
|
Drifting

Thanks guys, I'll get a new steering stabilzer and get the front shaft removed and rebuilt.

Old 10-15-2010 | 01:15 PM
|
Drifting
Default Front Suspension/Steering Questions

I removed the front drive shaft and still have the "bounce" that I will try to explain a little better. I have not replaced the bushing on the sway bar or steering damper yet. It usually is in the morning, it's not fast, as in once for every wheel rotation, but slower with a little thud along with it. It feels like the right front goes up and then drops back down with the thud at the downward movement. I just don't know what to look for or where to go from here.