Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest opinions needed... 02 vs 03. Go!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 07:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking Honest opinions needed... 02 vs 03. Go!

I started out wanting the 03/04 as I liked the style changes, the added power (even at the expense of 1 MPG), and all the other little changes that happened. Everywhere I turn though, it looks as if the 4.6L is a nightmare. Bad oil pumps frying the engine, head gaskets frying the engine, u-joints shattering the transmission, 3 amigos, etc. I knew the more I searched the more I would be afraid to purchase... but still want to ask around a bit more, especially about the 4.0/4.6 differences. Here is goes:
How much "Better" is the 4.0 over the 4.6?
Does the Range with the 4.6 fall to the same issues? Considering the 01 Range is about the same price with comparable miles, would it be smart to look at that as well?
If buying a 4.0 or a 4.6, what would the cost be to do a "proper" service before putting it to use.
For those who have spent time in both vehicle years, what were the big differences you saw between the two?
TIA all for the help. This forum has been very helpful so far.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
I started out wanting the 03/04 as I liked the style changes, the added power (even at the expense of 1 MPG), and all the other little changes that happened. Everywhere I turn though, it looks as if the 4.6L is a nightmare. Bad oil pumps frying the engine, head gaskets frying the engine, u-joints shattering the transmission, 3 amigos, etc. I knew the more I searched the more I would be afraid to purchase... but still want to ask around a bit more, especially about the 4.0/4.6 differences. Here is goes:
How much "Better" is the 4.0 over the 4.6?
Does the Range with the 4.6 fall to the same issues? Considering the 01 Range is about the same price with comparable miles, would it be smart to look at that as well?
If buying a 4.0 or a 4.6, what would the cost be to do a "proper" service before putting it to use.
For those who have spent time in both vehicle years, what were the big differences you saw between the two?
TIA all for the help. This forum has been very helpful so far.
Snafu, read this thread: https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=21328

Also, it does not matter what year of DII you buy, as some point you will have replace the head gaskets, re-build the front drive shaft and quite possibly get a visit from the 3 amigos at some point.

The only thing me personally I do not like about the 2002 is the fact that it does not come with a factory transfer case that has the CDL.

It will cost about a grand to go through Mike's list to give it a "proper" service . By the way, I love my Disco and it has never left me stranded. If you take care of it, it will take care of you.

Pull the trigger, you will not regret it.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:27 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mwindth
The only thing me personally I do not like about the 2002 is the fact that it does not come with a factory transfer case that has the CDL.
2003's don't have a CDL either. The 4.6 is a POS plain and simple. Not that the 4.0 is great but at least you can fix it when it breaks.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my 2003, HSE. I hate the 18" wheels because of the limited tire selection/price, so I've bought some 16's to put on it, along with a lift kit. I've tried to be very retentive about the service on it, and to date, it's been a great vehicle. Good luck finding a vehicle!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO the 99 or 2000 is the way to go. They have all the same issues, but they have the CDL transfer case. For me, that's a selling point. I am setting mine up with a D1 linkage for $100. That being said, who care what I think, get what YOU want, your driving it. No matter what you can't loose. Disco's are great.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by lipadj46
2003's don't have a CDL either. The 4.6 is a POS plain and simple. Not that the 4.0 is great but at least you can fix it when it breaks.
So what exactly with the 4.6 is the biggest issue? Was it just some of the 2003 with the oil issues? Being it was the mainstay in the Range, I can't see it being too bad. I'm a bit OK going with the pre-facelift style and having less power where I was not open to that before at least.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by mwindth
I did go thru that a number of times, but less info on the 4.0 vs 4.6 which is my biggest issue. Thanks though, all of this is very helpful. I'm actually leaning towards buying an older and cheaper one and seeing how I like it. If it works out for me, then I could dive in and grab a nicer one.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:58 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy a 1999 DI. The DII is really a cluster **** of bad engineering decisions.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:35 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you can find a D1 fairly cheap. use searchtempest.com i always see private sellers trying to get rid of them that need head gaskets for $1,500, just avoid the dealers they want $6k for somethign you can get for $2k or less.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
you can find a D1 fairly cheap. use searchtempest.com i always see private sellers trying to get rid of them that need head gaskets for $1,500, just avoid the dealers they want $6k for somethign you can get for $2k or less.
Well, I still want to look at D2 and not a D1. I have found a few cheaper ones out there I need to take a look at though. I have found a few private sales, but also a few dealers. I am good with the dealers though, just about every dealer in the Tri-State area is a client of the company I'm with

Quick Reply: Honest opinions needed... 02 vs 03. Go!