Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front t-case output

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default front t-case output

OK, so finally got around to diagnosing a noise I had(thought it was a bad hub). Was going to pull the front D/S and see if it made a difference. Did not have to get that far. As soon as I grabbed the t-case end of the d/s, I noticed the t-case flange had lateral movement to it. Not alot, but enough to wiggle and make noise when driving.

So, i guess my ??'s are: Is the output bearing replaceble( i.e.-available)? Does the t-case have to come out to do it? Last, if paying someone to do it, would putting in a used($350 w/65k miles) t-case be more cost effective vs labor costs?

Edit: ok, I see AB has it for $34

Thanks in advanced

Last edited by kenk; 06-21-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, after a little further investigation, the noise is/also coming from the input side, as it does not change in intensity with the front or rear shaft removed and driven.

But, either way, two different shops said they could not pull it and fix it for anywhere near what a used t-case costs. So, looks like a new-used one is going in.

Thinking I may keep the old one and tear it apart and see which bearings are bad. If I can replace them myself, I'll keep it as a spare

Old 03-22-2017, 10:16 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kenk
OK, after a little further investigation, the noise is/also coming from the input side, as it does not change in intensity with the front or rear shaft removed and driven.

But, either way, two different shops said they could not pull it and fix it for anywhere near what a used t-case costs. So, looks like a new-used one is going in.

Thinking I may keep the old one and tear it apart and see which bearings are bad. If I can replace them myself, I'll keep it as a spare
what did you end up doing? Did you fit a used/ rebuilt T Case?