Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

frt d/shaft u joints

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 11:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frt d/shaft u joints

just replaced the u joints and the center ball in the carden joint...on my 03 disco not a bad job at all. 4 hrs, most difficult part...getting the old centering ball housing out..what a pig...i now have a greater piece of mind....grease fittings!!!!!! aaahhhhh

Old 04-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: frt d/shaft u joints

One more thing for you to do is to pull the small screw in plug on the slip shaft and put a grease fitting there also, that way you can grease the splines and kkep the drive shaft from buckeling on a hard stop. Do this to both the front and rear drive shafts and then grease them good.
Mike

Old 04-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Three Wheeling

yes i did that...i was going to leave the fitting in but its really close to the cat so i just lubed and replaced the screw...on the rear the u joint has a fitting so does the shaft....flex disc looks good no cracks or splits..

Old 04-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: shagybruce

just replaced the u joints and the center ball in the carden joint...on my 03 disco not a bad job at all. 4 hrs, most difficult part...getting the old centering ball housing out..what a pig...i now have a greater piece of mind....grease fittings!!!!!! aaahhhhh
I'm getting ready to do the same. What was difficult about getting the old ball centering housing out and how did you do it? I'm thinking of just greasingthat part of itup well and replacing the seal and spring (in addition to replacing the u-joints with greasable ones).

Thanks.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Three Wheeling

getting the ball out was no big deal. put theyoke in a vise and just pry it out...the housing is another matter i used penetrating oil, then i useda fine sharp chisel to ease the edges away from theyoke bit by bit then eventually you can pop it out takes a bit of time and care not to nick up the yoke too much. use a fine file to clean up any burrs then put some grease in theyoke before putting the new ball and housing back in. i used a 27mm socket to get it level with the rim then used a small punch to seat it so you have enough room for the seal to sit in the lip of the yolk. excess grease will come out of the small hole in the bottom of the yoke.