Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustratingly inconsistent AC system

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019 | 09:05 PM
|
Rock Crawling
Default Frustratingly inconsistent AC system

So I've reached the point in attempting to diagnose what's wrong with my AC system where I'm about to start pulling my hair out, and I was hoping you fine folks could provide some assistance.

In the interest of completeness, here is the full sequence of events:

Phase 1: System would not hold pressure. Put a can of Red Angel in it before tearing apart the dashboard to check the evaporator, and it seems to have fixed it... for now, anyway.
Phase 2: System would start cold, and then warm up. Found out that I had overcharged the system and allowed moisture in, so evacuated the system, replaced the receiver/dryer, and refilled. Also found out the condenser fan motor was broken, so replaced that.Ven

Phase 3 (right now): Vent temperature was 50 degrees at the beginning and going down the highway, then rose into the 60s once I got off the highway and into stop and go traffic. On the way home, however, there were no problems, and the vent temperature was around 45.

I cannot tell whether the evaporator is freezing up or the condenser is blocked, but the AC appears to only have problems at low speeds and after the system has been running for a while. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Old 07-14-2019 | 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jason Feuerstein
So I've reached the point in attempting to diagnose what's wrong with my AC system where I'm about to start pulling my hair out, and I was hoping you fine folks could provide some assistance.

In the interest of completeness, here is the full sequence of events:

Phase 1: System would not hold pressure. Put a can of Red Angel in it before tearing apart the dashboard to check the evaporator, and it seems to have fixed it... for now, anyway.
Phase 2: System would start cold, and then warm up. Found out that I had overcharged the system and allowed moisture in, so evacuated the system, replaced the receiver/dryer, and refilled. Also found out the condenser fan motor was broken, so replaced that.Ven

Phase 3 (right now): Vent temperature was 50 degrees at the beginning and going down the highway, then rose into the 60s once I got off the highway and into stop and go traffic. On the way home, however, there were no problems, and the vent temperature was around 45.

I cannot tell whether the evaporator is freezing up or the condenser is blocked, but the AC appears to only have problems at low speeds and after the system has been running for a while. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Pressure test system with nitrogen
evacuate and weigh in charge

your refrigerant charge is probably not right

Old 07-14-2019 | 10:22 AM

And stop putting in leak sealant you may be clogging things up
fix leaks the right way

Old 07-14-2019 | 10:54 AM
Winching

Do you have rear air?

Old 07-14-2019 | 11:39 AM
Rock Crawling

Take your car to a mechanic with a proper AC machine.

You evacuated the system? How? Did you pull a vacuum on it before recharging? How? I doubt you have access to tbe right machines to do this.

Parts store refrigerant in a can does NOT fix AC systems. They call for an exact amount of charge, and tossing some more in very rarely helps, regardless of what the counter jockeys tell you

Invest the $150 and have a professional do it.

Old 07-14-2019 | 05:30 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Llamasayswhat
Take your car to a mechanic with a proper AC machine.

You evacuated the system? How? Did you pull a vacuum on it before recharging? How? I doubt you have access to tbe right machines to do this.

Parts store refrigerant in a can does NOT fix AC systems. They call for an exact amount of charge, and tossing some more in very rarely helps, regardless of what the counter jockeys tell you

Invest the $150 and have a professional do it.

That's a fair question. To answer, yes, I pulled 30 mm Hg for about 40 minutes, then left it for an hour to make sure it could hold vacuum, which it does. I also added refrigerant by weight rather than pressure. It's probably not 700g, but it's likely within the 25g band specified by the RAVE manual. I'll probably end up taking it to a professional anyway, but I'd rather figure out if there's some obvious answer first.

To answer the other question, no, I don't have rear air.

Old 07-15-2019 | 02:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Just do this.

Old 07-15-2019 | 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Fill that with ICE & oh heck yeah!

Old 07-15-2019 | 08:22 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Jason Feuerstein
That's a fair question. To answer, yes, I pulled 30 mm Hg for about 40 minutes, then left it for an hour to make sure it could hold vacuum, which it does. I also added refrigerant by weight rather than pressure. It's probably not 700g, but it's likely within the 25g band specified by the RAVE manual. I'll probably end up taking it to a professional anyway, but I'd rather figure out if there's some obvious answer first.

To answer the other question, no, I don't have rear air.
How did you manage all that, but you're unsure on weight? Any Automotive AC machine is going to do all of that on an auto cycle with no questions asked.

Old 07-15-2019 | 08:27 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Llamasayswhat
How did you manage all that, but you're unsure on weight? Any Automotive AC machine is going to do all of that on an auto cycle with no questions asked.
I had to compensate for refrigerant left in the hoses. The RAVE manual has a calculation for that, but it's not perfectly precise; hence why there's some leeway in the amount of refrigerant used.

Quick Reply: Frustratingly inconsistent AC system