Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Door

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As an aside (I know this was a different problem, but for those replacing the common broken clip...) Boil water and put the new clip in the hot water for a few minutes. It will soften it long enough for you to install it without breaking. Let it cool. Close fuel door. All good.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:38 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was stumped as to how to open my fuel door, simply held close by a strategically placed magnet. A light push on the opposite side gives me just enough space to open it.

Good to see there is a proper fix though, I like for things to be in original operating condition.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Drifting
Default my problem is a little different

My Disco 2 fuel door opens fine but to close it takes two people. The problem is either the latch or the actuator. I don't know which.

To close the door, I have to get another person to press the fuel release switch on dash while I press the door closed. Otherwise the door itself doesn't close completely or snap into place

Seems like my problem is the latch ?

My actuator goes in and out without any issues.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:48 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

try bending the catch on the door a little, I had a simular problem.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Drifting
Default already tried that

I've already tried to bend the latch, but just can't seem to get it into a holding position.

My actuator retracts when switch is pressed, which opens door. And then it stays out--it seems to work fine

Old 09-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Rock Crawling

You most likely need a new plastic clip. The area of that clip, where it takes the most stress from holding the door closed, is the thinnest part of the clip. It might not look weak or broken, but if it doesn't stay closed, it most likely is bending at that point.

In the meantime, there is a rubber bushing that works to "spring" the door open when you release the actuator. Until you get a new clip, remove that rubber bushing (AND the plastic clip) and the door should remain "closed" or flush until you can get a new clip.

I'll take a pic of mine in a sec...

Old 09-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Rock Crawling

Here's the rubber bushing (it works to "spring" the door open when its released)

You can simply pull it out (*DO NOT take this out WITHOUT removing your plastic clip. You might close the door and it will be "fun" getting it open without it springing open on its own.)

Keep it in a safe place until you replace the plastic clip. Then don't forget to put it back on afterward.

Also, like I mentioned before, you'll want to place the new clip in very hot water to soften it so that it won't break when you install it.

-Anthony

Old 09-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Drifting

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Antmen, what would that bushing be called? I replaced the little plastic latch a while back but the door doesn't swing open. I make due because I can wedge it open from the bottom corner but I would like it to just spring open like it should.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Rock Crawling

I don't know. I couldn't find it in the Rave. Apparently, some DII's use an actual spring in that location and not that bushing. Odd.

Are you missing yours?

-Anthony

Quick Reply: Fuel Door