Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Gauge & Speedometer Innaccuracies

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge & Speedometer Innaccuracies

Hello All,

I've learned (somewhat the hard way) that both the fuel gauge and my speedometer are incorrect. My Speedometer reads about 3 mph faster than what I'm actually travelling and my fuel gauge reads that I have about 1/8th of a tank more than what is actually there.

Any ideas on where I can start my investigation to track down the issue and what am I looking at in terms of level of effort?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

As far as the speedo, Do you have smaller or larger tires than stock?

And with fuel guage, it may be the sender is getting hung up or stuck.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Overlanding

I have Michelin LTX M/S2 tires that are the same size as stock. They're brand new, I only had them put on maybe a month ago.

How difficult a job is it to drop the tank far enough to get the fuel gauge sender assembly out?

Old 04-25-2012, 02:14 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about these trucks, but in my other cars, the fuel gauge is set to read lower than what it really is to prevent you from running out of gas and burning up the fuel pump, which needs to stay submerged in gasoline to stay cool.

The fuel gauge sender is part in parcel with the pump. You need to replace the whole unit. Its accessed through the boot. Lift up the carpet in the boot and you'll see an access panel. Its not hard to replace. For what its worth, you can buy an Ultragauge for a fraction of the price of a fuel pump, and it will more accurately read both the fuel and the speedo, after calibration of course. My fuel gauge is off by about 2/5 a tank, but I don't worry about it with the Ultragauge.

Last edited by Eaglerover22; 04-25-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dwimmerlaik
Hello All,

I've learned (somewhat the hard way) that both the fuel gauge and my speedometer are incorrect. My Speedometer reads about 3 mph faster than what I'm actually travelling and my fuel gauge reads that I have about 1/8th of a tank more than what is actually there.

Any ideas on where I can start my investigation to track down the issue and what am I looking at in terms of level of effort?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
I think that the Speedo inaccuracy is intentional, all my previous (Jetta and Jag) cars have read about 3 mph faster than what I was really travelling.

Last edited by thebloody; 04-25-2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: spupid spelling
Old 04-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Here is the updated fuel gauge...

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Gauge & Speedometer Innaccuracies-fuel-guage.jpg  
Old 04-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Overlanding

@Savannah...hahahahahahahaha *gasp* hahahahahahaha

@Eaglerover22 My problem is the exact opposite. My fuel gauge reads that I have an 1/8th of a tank left and the tank is actually dry. This happened to me the other day on my way home. I realized I only had about an 1/8th of a tank and I made plans to go to the station to fill up. Unfortunately, I didn't make it.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Mudding

My truck runs about 3 mph slower than the speedometer says.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Mudding

[quote=Dwimmerlaik;315795
@Eaglerover22 My problem is the exact opposite. My fuel gauge reads that I have an 1/8th of a tank left and the tank is actually dry. This happened to me the other day on my way home. I realized I only had about an 1/8th of a tank and I made plans to go to the station to fill up. Unfortunately, I didn't make it. [/quote]

Yeah, that stinks. Here's my .02.
1. A new fuel pump runs about $250. Its easy to replace, but time consuming.
2. Get used to it.
3. Figure out your average mpg, then reset the trip odometer at every fillup and run it until you figure you've used up 20 gallons (keeping an extra 5 gallons for insurance)
4. Buy a jerry can, fill it with premium and keep it strapped to the roof.
5. Buy an ultraguage for $70, set it and forget it. This will also solve the speedo problem.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:26 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Eaglerover22
Not sure about these trucks, but in my other cars, the fuel gauge is set to read lower than what it really is to prevent you from running out of gas and burning up the fuel pump, which needs to stay submerged in gasoline to stay cool.

The fuel gauge sender is part in parcel with the pump. You need to replace the whole unit. Its accessed through the boot. Lift up the carpet in the boot and you'll see an access panel. Its not hard to replace. For what its worth, you can buy an Ultragauge for a fraction of the price of a fuel pump, and it will more accurately read both the fuel and the speedo, after calibration of course. My fuel gauge is off by about 2/5 a tank, but I don't worry about it with the Ultragauge.
Not sure where you got this information but you are way wrong, they are set to read accurately, if they are not, the sending unit is off which can be tested with an OHM meter.

As for the speedo, how do you know it is off by 3 MPH?

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge & Speedometer Innaccuracies