Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel injection to carbureted?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel injection to carbureted?

Ok guys and gals, don't bite my head off right away. I know most of you are about keeping your rovers the way they came. Is it possible to revert back to a carb if you have a 4.0, if so what all would you need to keep, and what all would you need to eliminate? Also is it possible to run off of the coil packs without a distributor? It might sound silly but I'm thinking it over very seriously. I have googled and googled and found very little on the subject. Any input is greatly appreciated, positive or negative!

Old 09-14-2009, 06:22 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

gotta ask why? carbs suck off-road on hill climbs.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Three Wheeling

I'm looking into it for the simplicity of the system, and relatively easy to diagnose when a problem does arrise.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it is illegal to put a less efficient engine in a vehicle than what was previously in it.... correct me if I am wrong.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I know people have put Edelbrock intakes on Rover engines. Don't know what carbs they used. Check on Discoweb and Pirate, pretty sure you'll find the answers you're looking for there.
The Rover V8 was carburetted when it was first put in Rovers, and for quite a few years after too.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest problem I'd see is the ignition. If you converted to a distributor, it'd prob work better. Coil packs are run with the engine ecu, which would go haywire missing all the fuel injection components

Old 09-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by LRScott
I think it is illegal to put a less efficient engine in a vehicle than what was previously in it.... correct me if I am wrong.
depends which state you're from. some states, anything goes. In NY, if your '96 or newer(obd2), they hook a computer up to your car and if everything don't jive for that make and model it don't pass inspection

Old 09-14-2009, 07:47 PM
Three Wheeling

That's the one thing I wasn't sure about, wouldn't the engine still get fire from the ecm? The crank sensor would definitly need to stay, it was my understanding that o2's ,MAF's,TPS,and such only controlled injector pulse and duration, the ignition is not set at a certain point of timing? And that timing runs off of the crank sensor? If that were the case you would not need to go with a distributor.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

With all the fuel injection components gone, the ecm would go into default, or "limp home" mode. But if that would effect spark or timing, dont know??

There is also a cam sensor and knock sensor that do effect timing that would have to stay.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Three Wheeling

Limp mode usually affects the fuel injectors, with no injectors there is nothing to affect right? I know for sure that the knock sensors would need to stay also the cam and crank sensors but everything else is to control fuel enrichment right? I'm thinking out loud but does it make sense?

Quick Reply: fuel injection to carbureted?