Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Mileage - Possible Improvements?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael M. Koch
Haha! Land Rovers are known for many things. Fuel economy is not one of them.
That being the case, if you really want better mileage you could swap out your engine for a diesel. There's at least one thread on the forum by someone who has done it. I think diesels get somewhere in the 30-35 mpg range. Of course you'd have to drive the car at least ten years before your fuel savings would offset the cost of the conversion.
Or... go buy a Land Rover in Europe and ship it home. Diesels are common over there.
How much is the conversion? For my driving (about 20k miles per year) 10mpg difference is about $2,200/year. If you are saying that the diesels get 30-35mpg and the petrol trucks get ~20 max on the highway that's 10-15mpg difference so closer to $2,500 per year.

Does the diesel swap cost $25k?

Old 11-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Three Wheeling
Default fuel mileage

Originally Posted by 90'sDisco
I'm getting a 1999 with 140k miles. I assume it will initially get anywhere between 10-17mpg since it probably hasn't had decent maintenance (proper intake & TB cleaning as well as hoses, seals & emissions).

Assuming that I do all of the proper maintenance what should I expect for "normal" fuel mileage? (city/highway or just combined average type numbers)

Are there things that you guys/gals do to improve mileage? Are there aftermarket engine management systems or intake/exhaust parts that can bump the LR up even just an extra 2-3mpg?

I know what I bought and I'm not expecting 30+mpg but I'd like to be able to get better than 15ish if possible. I have a second vehicle that I use for "around town" type trips (BMW) and I plan on using the Discovery locally during bad weather and also for major trips - such as cross country trips, up to the mountains to go skiing, etc. Would be nice to get 20-25ish on the highway and I'm willing to invest in some aftermarket parts if that kind of fuel economy is possible.
You'll be lucky! Maybe 17mpg on a run on the highway at 60mph with a following wind. They have always been gas guzzlers - to much mechanical gubbins between the crankshaft and the wheels!

Old 11-13-2012, 11:49 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Diesel mileage

How much is the conversion? For my driving (about 20k miles per year) 10mpg difference is about $2,200/year. If you are saying that the diesels get 30-35mpg and the petrol trucks get ~20 max on the highway that's 10-15mpg difference so closer to $2,500 per year.

I had discos with the TDI engine and also a 110 I fitted one in - both manual gearbox. They got 28-30MPG normal driving - that is BRITISH Gallons! So knock 20% off that for a US gallon.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Diesel conversions are expensive though I was quoted a while back for something like $1800 includes everything from radiator to ECU for a TD5 and an r380 manual trans. The TD5 came in these in Europe so it is a direct swap with the exception of a little finessing to get around the steering column (so I've heard).

An alternative to this and can be cheaper to install and much cheaper on fuel is either CNG or LPG. CNG runs about $1 gas gal equivalent where LPG runs closer to $2.50 depending on where you live. The downsides of these is you need a place to store the tanks, a place near you that sells fuel to the public, and you need to attach the special equipment to get the fuel into the engine. Both of these options give you the same MPG as gasoline but cost a fraction of the amount.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Mudding

Honestly, I can't quote you exact numbers. You'd have to find a compatible engine, possibly rebuild it, and find the components to bolt it all up to your existing transmission. You'll probably need to modify or even replace your fuel system. ECU would probably need to be re-programmed as well. Oh yeah, your exhaust system won't fit either, so you'll need to find some new parts for that.

In other words, it's a lot of work. Not an easy DIY project unless you have a fairly well equipped garage with an engine hoist, and friends who are willing to work for beer. IMHO, save the Rover for getting dirty on the weekends and get a Prius for a daily driver.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Drifting

I was just curious about what I should expect for "normal" driving with a 140k mile engine and if there was anything cheap/easy that would give the truck a 1-5mpg bump.

If the mileage "is what it is" than the next question is what do guys get with an off-road gear/setup?

I've done the hard-core 4x4 thing before and that's not the intent of this truck but if fuel economy can't really be improved the next question is does it really get any worse?

Things like roof racks (probably just Thule or similar nothing crazy), bigger/beefier tires, brush guards, etc. do they cause a big drop in MPG's or is it still the same - expect 12-17mpg pretty much everywhere.

My guess is that it'll be:

~10mpg doing light/medium duty towing (or driving like an idiot)
~12-15mpg doing stop & go/city driving
~15-17mpg doing highway over 60mpg
~20mpg driving highway at or under 60mph

Old 11-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Mudding

My guess is that it'll be:

~10mpg doing light/medium duty towing (or driving like an idiot)
~12-15mpg doing stop & go/city driving
~15-17mpg doing highway over 60mpg
~20mpg driving highway at or under 60mph
That about sums it up. The best thing you can do is simply keep your truck well maintained. My mileage went up a bit just by changing the oil in the differentials & transfer case. (It appeared to be low, PO was probably clueless.) Truck ran smoother & quieter too.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Drifting

Are there performance chips for these things?

Usually performance ECU chips to a well maintained stock motor would bump up the efficiency a bit (unless all it does is dump more fuel into the motor).

Old 11-13-2012, 02:26 PM
Mudding

Are there performance chips for these things?

Usually performance ECU chips to a well maintained stock motor would bump up the efficiency a bit (unless all it does is dump more fuel into the motor).
There was a thread about performance chips a while back. Most of the comments pretty much called BS on them.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:30 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

The first step to owning a Land Rover is accepting the fact that these vehicles have poor fuel economy. If your looking for a fuel efficient vehicle then you may wish to re-consider owning a Land Rover. But here are afew suggestions:

1.) Dont speed! Stick to 65 MPH highway and dont use Sport Mode unless your going up a steep incline.
2.) Change fluids and filters regularly and maintain emissions systems to spec.
3.) Use premium fuel and treat your fuel injectors with fuel injector cleaner once a month.
4.) Keep your tires properly inflated, dont over inflate or let them get below the recommended PSI. Routine tire rotations. Change tires when needed.
5.) Dont idle your engine unless you really need to.
6.) Conserve your fuel, make less trips to the store. Plan your trips to maximize fuel economy. Order take out and have it delivered instead of driving to the restaurant. Watch netflix instead of driving to the movies. Do shopping once every 3 weeks instead of every week.
7.) Carpool with friends or take a public train or bus.
8.) Be gentle on the gas pedal, dont slam on the gas or quickly accelerate as that burns more fuel.
9.) Dont go off-roading as it burns more fuel.

Or just divorce your wife and use the extra $$$$$$$ to cover gas expenses! Life's cheaper when your single hehe

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage - Possible Improvements?