Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FUEL MILEAGE AND WHAT WORKS & WHAT DOESN'T

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 06:49 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: FUEL MILEAGE AND WHAT WORKS & WHAT DOESN'T

ORIGINAL: Spike555

I think it is because LR already has the engine maxed out for power and tourqe, the engine is just big enough to do the job that is asked of it.
When you already push it to the limit there just isint any wiggle room. Hence needing premium gas.

On the Disco II's the intake was changed and this netted 3hp and 17 ftlbs Tq if there and more sensors to get there I don't know.
That was with longer runners, that was a simple change.

So if nothing we add makes a difference I have come to the conclusion that its the ECM that can not change to use what was added or will not change due to the programing.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:32 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: gtagg

anyone tried nitrogen in there tires instead of air? I was told this helps mileage.
gTAGG
Nitrogen is used to keep a steady pressure in the tires, regardless of temperature. It doesn't expand and contract like regular atmosphere...

Old 04-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about or is there any programers out for rovers? Like super chips/power programers...Just wondering...I had one for my F350 dulley and it help in all kinds of ways.My 04 Disco II 59k BFG 255/70/16 I just changed my plugs and wires(with from the dealer parts with I belive were bosch)Appox 3k ago,And just last week seafoam in the tank,High oct and I still get half hwy and around town avg 12mpg??????

Old 04-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can you say a cold air intake and aftermarket exhaust does not do anything? Have you actually dyno'd a car with these items for results? Every car I have ever owned and done this to has experienced improvement in performance and mileage.

Have you guys ever thought about an electric fan in lieu of the driveline viscous fan? Has anyone ever developed larger pulleys for the engine components? Other makes have accessory companies that have developed larger pulleys that free up power, not sure if this would be available (or wise) with Discos.

Speed

Old 04-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Mudding

By the way-the reason why the current chips available for this vehicle are not very effective is because of the power band and where the true improvements exist. How often do you get you Disco above 4000 rpm? Most of the improvement in hp and trq is above this and it just doesn't provide a noticeable difference for everyday driving. Now, if someone could come up with a re-program for daily use where the trq curve around 1500-3500 rpm is improved I would be all about buying it.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:01 PM
TReK

Here is what I have found from RPI in the U.K. that the reason nothing works is that the ECM will not read the improvements.
So the ECM needs to be updated to work and take advantage of the upgrades.

This explains a lot!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Drifting

About gas.... The other weekend I filled up with Shell (with <10% ethenol). I drove from Dallas to Houston, about 255 miles and my MPG was around 12-13. On the way back, I filled up with EXXON and got 18mpg... This is with the OME HD lift and 265/75/16 driving around 85mph!! I found out that the exxon did not have ethenol and is most likely the reason for my increase in MPG.
Is there any way to search for gas stations in an area that do not add ethenol?

Old 04-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only use Top Tier retailers.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

No ethanol, better gas, better driving.

And has anyone checked with Wait4Me preformance or PCM4Less? I'm looking at doing a Wait4Me tune on my blazer...basically you can send them your ECM or buy one from them for 150ish, and you tell them your upgrades, where you want the max power, torque limiters, top speed, etc. If these guys could do a LR it would be a pretty big boost I would think.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:35 PM
Three Wheeling

All you need is a K&N air filter. Naw just kidding. If these filters are badfor these trucks whats with the advertisements on this site. Any way keep up the good work.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:22 AM
TReK

ORIGINAL: Sfef84

About gas.... The other weekend I filled up with Shell (with <10% ethenol). I drove from Dallas to Houston, about 255 miles and my MPG was around 12-13. On the way back, I filled up with EXXON and got 18mpg... This is with the OME HD lift and 265/75/16 driving around 85mph!! I found out that the exxon did not have ethenol and is most likely the reason for my increase in MPG.
Is there any way to search for gas stations in an area that do not add ethenol?

The U.S. goverment has mandated the use of ethenol in large cities that have pollution problems Dallas is one of them.
Houston is one also, but if you fill up in a different county you can get non-ethenol fuel.

The ethenol is the reason that you got bad mileage.
Ethenol has less power.

Quick Reply: FUEL MILEAGE AND WHAT WORKS & WHAT DOESN'T