Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump or CPS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 10:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

When I I tested the plug-in to the fuel pump, no power out of any of the wires except the big white one when I was cranking it. Im thinking if it was the relay, I'd get no power whatsoever right
Right. Connector white/purple wire is pwr from relay and black is gnd. Fuel pump relay will open if engine not started/running after a short timeout period. If your gnd is good likely like a pump.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
you can check the ckps with an obdII scanner, check the rpm while cranking if no rpm the ckps is no good
I watched the tach very closely, it moved while cranking.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:06 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Doesn't hurt to replace both parts any way. Or at least purchase the CPS and keep it on hand for the likely event that it will need replacing in the next year or two.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:47 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by 4x4 Brad
Doesn't hurt to replace both parts any way. Or at least purchase the CPS and keep it on hand for the likely event that it will need replacing in the next year or two.
I just spent the better part of an hour installing my cps. Still no crank. I reinstalled my fuel pump, and tried, nothing. I unplugged the fuel hose going to the motor and a big spurt of fuel shot out. Im pretty sure the fuel drained out of it, back to the tank overnight is there any way to purge the air in the line?

Old 02-22-2016, 06:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Default update!

Well I got it towed over to a shop and we tested the fuel pump and its good, well its putting fuel into the system. They pulled a plug and it was wet with fuel. But they said there was no spark on either side. Maybe the coils are bad? Whats the likeliness of both coils failing at once? I hope that's the case. They said what it could also be is the CPS magnet on the flywheel fell off and needs a new flywheel. Eek! Is there a certain relay I should check? I checked every fuse under the dash and hood and they check out good

Old 02-22-2016, 06:51 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4x4 Brad
Mine cranked, but wouldn't start. It made a "DUSH-duh-DUSH-duh" kind of noise. Like something was preventing the spark from igniting. I dunno.

I came on here to ask advice, everyone said it's either the CPS or Fuel Pump. I took a chance. I guessed CPS. My guess was right. Problem was solved.

The CPS goes kinda bad after a while any way. So if you replace it, and it turns out not to be a CPS issue, then you have still done a good thing by replacing it, as it's only a matter of time before that part craps out on you anyway. When the CPS goes bad, it'll leave you stranded.

I would try and do that first. If you're still having issues, then you'll know what it must be. Call ahead to Autozone. You are looking for part number: sU5570

See link: Crankshaft Position Sensor at AutoZone.com - Best Crankshaft Position Sensor Products for Cars, Trucks & SUVS
Actually, my husband had to replace his cps last year....it never left us stranded...truck wouldnt start until it cooled off, but it always started

Old 02-22-2016, 07:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by MysteeklRover
Actually, my husband had to replace his cps last year....it never left us stranded...truck wouldnt start until it cooled off, but it always started
I let it sit all night. I have fuel, but no spark.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:26 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Sarahcake
I let it sit all night. I have fuel, but no spark.
whoa
...that's over my head....

Old 02-22-2016, 07:28 PM
Mudding

whoa
...that's over my head....
However, you will find great advice here....I joined a couple days ago on the general tech forum and got some really good advice

Old 02-22-2016, 09:08 PM
Three Wheeling

However, you will find great advice here....I joined a couple days ago on the general tech forum and got some really good advice
Ive looked and searched but everywhere I look, people say cps. I just replaced it this morning and I am leaning towards the coilpacks. It cranks, wasn't super hot when it finally died, and after cooling off, it didn't restart.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump or CPS?